Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I am replacing a damaged key pad with an identical one on my

Customer Question

I am replacing a damaged key pad with an identical one on my home security system. there are 4 wires coming out of the wall, Red, Black, Yellow & Green. The board calls for Positive Red, Common Black, & Data Yellow. There are only 3 connection points, could it be that the green wire was never used ?
Also when reconnecting the siren wires to the control box would the red wire connect to the siren port and the black to its common ? THANKS!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Yes, 4 core wiring is used as standard. However not all 4 wires may always be used.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Pete I will give it a try. did you agree with the 2nd part about the siren?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Yes, sorry - the black is always common and the red wire will connect to the siren port.