Home Security Systems

Home Security System Repair Questions? Ask a Technician.

Home Security Systems

I wish I knew. It will not aler, Alert, Older system safe

Customer Question
I wish I knew. It...
I wish I knew. It will not aler
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Alert
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Older system safe watch pro 3000 We had a thunderstorm and knocked the power in our home. It has not worked right since. We thought it was the battery, but we replaced and nothing.
JA: Anything else you want the security expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess not. Not sure one thing always leads to another, lol
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Security Systems
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Safe watch pro 3000
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We tried resetting the system. Replaced the battery, but the alarm will not go off when opening doors
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also the chimes show on but there is no sound either. We did a test and the sound did go off for 0mseconds.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
About two weeks we had a power outage from a storm and it tripped the electrical box. We were not home when it occurred
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is som3one there?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Someone
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 4 days by:
9/12/2016
Electronics Technician: Rusty, Customer Service replied 1 year ago
Rusty
Rusty, Customer Service

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Do you still need help with this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I still need help, it has been almost a week for anyone to respond. If you call does cost additional $26.00? I've paid $5. for initial, but they took $30. from my account and have no answer to show for except for today. From 9/5 to the 9/12 sure is not within 25hrs :(

Sorry for the delay, your money is just a deposit at this point.

Does it otherwise function properly? Just the alarm won't sound from the door triggers, but it does sound when you test it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The alarm only sounds when I did the test. If you set it and try opening doors nothing happens. The chimes will not activate either

There is a switch inside the unit that seems to have fried. It's attached to the trigger circuitry, and it's not switching to trip the alarm. Since you can hear it on a test, we know the alarm works, and that the triggers are working because you can see it in the system when a door opens. We would need advanced schematics to fix the thing. You're going to have to call ADT and schedule a repair. (###) ###-####

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ADT will not come since it is a old system, and we do not have monitoring service. We have all the schematic paperwork, but not sure if the part can be purchased and replaced by us. Advice please

How advanced are the schematics you have? It's a tiny switch that is triggered by the sensors, and sends the signal to your alarm circuit to sound the alarm.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they are the original ones left inside the alarm box. We will see inside the box for such switch. any idea what it looks like?

It doesn't look like a switch, it will be either a little white box, or a capacitor looking thing. Should read 0vdc on the output of the switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me have a look.... How would I know if it is defective?

It should read between 12 and 18vdc when it's open. It opens and closes when a door is opened, when the system is armed. You will read a short when a door is open, and an open when the door is shut.

If there is no change and it always reads open, that's the switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We found nothing (white box) or anything with the words Ovdc

0vdc stands for zero volts DC. It's going to be soldered to a green circuit board, and it will have to be tested with a multimeter. Have you worked on electronics in the past?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did find a fuse that was burnt and replaced it last week but no change

Ok, you're going to need someone who knows their way around a multimeter to do this. The switch doesn't look like anything you're used to.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sounds complicated even if we were to find the problem. I just disconnected the system, waited for a few minutes and pressed * + # and the alarm went off. It displayed code 99 (not sure what it means). Enter our security code and was able to turn off alarm.

That's great! Poking around may have freed the switch. Does it go off when you open a door?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No , the alarm does not go around. I had done this test before with the same result
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No the alarm did not go off when we open door......

Ok, well it needs to be done by someone who needs to use a multimeter. An electronic switch should be replaced by a technician who knows how to run these tests. You should show them our conversation about the switch, and they will be able to do the necessary testing and replacement of the switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure whom to call since ADT will not service it

I would try the local electronics repair shops. Which city are you nearest to?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Houston TX

I would start here, they have the guys who've been in the business and would know your system..

Home Security Systems Inc.

Fort Knox Home Security

Central Security

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure that would help. I searched and they monitor systems, no repairs. Ours in not monitored and is about 15 years old. Not sure is worth spending the money, since we do not want a new monitored system . But we will keep looking for answers, thank you

Try the installers, the ones who really know their stuff will know repairs on yours. If you still have no luck, I would take the entire control panel into a full service electronics repair shop and tell them about the switch that doesn't appear to work.

Rusty
Rusty
Rusty, Customer Service