Eric Billings
Eric Billings, President
Experience:  I have over 35 years of alarm experience, the last 19 years helping folks over the phone and e-mail with their alarm issues. I have been a JA customer since 2011, enrolled as an expert 10/26/15.
58743995

I had my 2 windows and doors replaced so i had to take off

Customer Question

i had my 2 windows and doors replaced so i had to take off the sensor and then put them back on , i 99 % positive i wired them exactly as the were, If i put the chime on the pad it will chime if i open either window or door but will never go in to the ready position
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Eric Billings replied 1 year ago.

It sounds as if your are working with a Honeywell or Ademco branded system. If so you may want to turn the system off twice to remove any alarm memory that may be in it's buffer after the window work. If you already tried that and or it didn't work try pressing the * key to get it to tell you what area is open. Can you tell me what type of system you are working with? Maybe take a picture or 2 of the keypad as well as the door and window sensors you rewired.

Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's an ademco fixed-word consoles 6127/6128 and the system running is Vista -20, the contact on the window are magnetic sensors with 2 wires 1 has silver wire and the other brass, the wire that was connected to it has 4 wires but only 2 of the four gets connected...thanks for your help

Good that they are hardwired contacts, makes this a little easier. From what you describe it certainly sounds like you got them wired up correctly using the right colors on the 4 conductor wire otherwise it wouldn't chime when you test them in the chime mode. Are all windows/doors that were replaced on the same zone? What zone does the keypad indicate is the open area when you press the * key? My first guess is that one of the contacts is not lined up correctly with the magnet and that when you are testing it in the chime mode it is seeing the circuit close and then open back up again. What style contacts did you reuse on the new windows?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are square 1 inch contacts, the patio door is connected with the kitchen window for zone 4 and the dining room window is connected with the living room window. Zone 5 the living room window was never replaced or touched. I even tried connecting the 2 wires at the contact together and bypassing one zone on the keypad and the I get the same result . The light blink for a second ready and then dissapears

Good, the square contacts are the easiest to line up, they should be in parallel as you probably already know. When you press the * key what zone is displayed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When * I get zone 4 and 5 not ready

I assume everything was closed when you did the * key and it appears that you probably reused the original contacts. You say above that when you have it in the chime mode they all still activate the chime when you open and close each of the windows and door? You may have to work with each zone one at a time. You can twist the bare wires together at the contacts that should make the system think that window or door is closed therefore eliminating one at a time. It may take a while but it is a very effective way to isolate the issue, do you have access to the inside of the control panel as well and is this the original control panel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did twist the wires together. The system will blink ready for a spit second when I do this and then it disappears, the panel is the original one and yes I have access

I would suggest starting from the beginning, doing one at a time and maybe even check inside the control panel to make sure that you used the correct pair of wires in the 4 conductors, most techs would not use the other pair but I have seen companies who tie the other pair to ground mistakenly thinking they are creating a shielded wire. Can you end me a few pics of the inside of the control, maybe one of the windows as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not at the house at the moment, can I contact you later or tomorrow and I will get some pics

No problem, look forward to hearing from you then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have added a pic of the panel, I tried to connect the wires one. At at time but it's seems to be the same, if I turn on the chime on the pad it chimes every time I connect and disconect what I thought was the correct connection, because it's bee disconnected but these sensors have to be rest

So zone 5 just the LR window that wasn't touched? That is weird.

The picture doesn't show the whole area so I can't really tell how many cables are connected to the zones in question.

Zone 4 is terminals 13&14, how many cables are contented together on these and are they wired in a chain fashion?

Zone 5 is terminals 15&16, is there only one cable tied to these terminals.

Are the wire colors you are using at the contacts the same as inside the panel?

Sorry to ask so many questions at once.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is what is was able to read on written words on some the cables and what I sawWire labled living room ^
Black to 16
Yellow to. 15
Red to red on wire labeled dining room
Green to yellow labeled kitchen and patioPatio & kitchen labeled wire
Green to 16
Red to 14
Black to green labled dining room
Yellow to green labeled living room
The wire also has a piece of tape around the black and red with the # ***** on itWire labeled Dining room
Yellow to 13
Black to 17
Red to red labeled living room
Green to black labeled patio and kitchen
There is a piece of tape around the green and yellow with the #. 4 on it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dinning room label also says basementI have 2 basement windows, kitchen window, dinning romm window, living room window and a patio door with are hooked up to the wires indicted in my last response
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you given up me...

no, been studying your info and drafting a response. On the phone with a customer now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem, thank you

Thank you for the better picture and the detailed summary of wiring connections at the panel, that was very helpful. This verifies that we are working with standard normally closed contacts. These wires connect to zones 4,5,&6 and it appears that they used red/black as a pair and green/yellow as a pair in each cable (or so you would assume they used the same color codes throughout). Are these the same color combinations at the contact end of the wires? Is there just one cable at each contact or do some of them have 2 cables in view at any of the contacts? Generally we would like to see one pair for each window or door. I'm not sure if I need to see it, but a pic or two of the contacts may help as well.

Zone 5, supposedly being only 1 window should be the easiest place to start, it contains the green/yellow pairs on the cables marked Dining and the cable marked Patio/Kitchen. It must be more than just that one window as there are 2 pairs connected.

Zone 4 is inclusive of the red/black pair of the Patio/kitchen cable and the green/yellow of the Dining cable.

Zone 6 is the red/black wires in each of the Dining cable and the Living Room cables.

I mention these color combinations in the hope that we can duplicate them at the contact ends.

I'm having internet problems, sorry for the delay. I am waiting for the service technician, if I take a while to respond it is probably due to that issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I press the* only zones 4 and 5 are faulted. The living room connecton was never touched. That would be the black and red connection at the window. The patio door is also easy to identify because the wires were cut so I was able to copy it and it was the green and yellow wire . Now for the kitchen window and the dinning room window I assumed it was also the green a yellow wire because these were the longest strands hanging out and the black and red looked like they were cut back. There is only one wire at each contact. What I am struggling with if I hook them all up at green and yellow the chime sound when I open and close the window but I never get a ready sign on the pad and it still shows the fault of zone 5 and 4 . I've connected the wires to one another and I still have the chime come on only when I attach the green and yellow wires together.

You say the chime triggers when the wires are connected? It should chime when the wires become unconnected. When you twist the wires at the contact together that is like closing the window/door. As I am sure you know, the chime happens when the zone is violated (one of the doors of windows has been opened) and not when the window/door is closed. And it will not chime other window/door on that zone until all others are closed.

If there is only one 4 conductor cable at each contact and the cables in the panel are using all 4 wires we might be missing a splice point in between the contacts and the panel. I would have thought that the cable labelled Patio & Kitchen would have used red/black for the kitchen window because you indicate that the patio door was on green/yellow.

Can you start from the point of having the wires at each contact twisted together to see if you get a ready light? (just the ones that were replaced) This should simulate where you were before the windows/doors were replaced. In the beginning of all this you mentioned 2 windows and doors, I am guessing the patio door and the kitchen and dining windows, is there another door?

If you do get the ready light re-do one window or door at a time checking after each process.

If you do not get the ready light we must have missed something. Maybe try twisting the red/black pairs together at the affected door/windows to see if that gets you a ready/green light.

Have you operated the system since the work or tried to disarm the system twice in a row to reset it as mentioned earlier?

The fact that you are having an issue with zone 5 that was not touched almost leads me to think one of the cables got crushed or pinched during the window replacement process, hard to tell without getting into the panel and using an ohm meter to check for grounds and shorts to each other.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now, the only window that chimes is the kitchen window, the patio and dining room stop chiming and even the living room window stopped and that window wasn't touched

So it chimes when you untwist the wire, but only the kitchen window? and it says zones 4 and 5 open I assume.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

was the kitchen window the first one you checked and did you twist the wire back together to normalize the zone before proceeding to the next window or door?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the kitchen window was the first, no I didn't twist it together before go to the next

Try doing them one at a time, retwisting them back together after each one and check the keypad for open zones in between each step.

Warriors game is starting, try to catch you between quarters or half time, barring dinner also.

Now it's my turn to ask, did you give up on me? :)

Just because it say's I am ready to be rated doesn't mean our conversation is over, it is merely an option. Please rate me when you feel it is appropriate (that's how us independent contractors get paid), they say the conversation can continue after the rating but I think it is more appropriate for you to wait until we near the end of the project.

Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to get a hold of a half decent ohm meter and then you can try to walk me through the testing and maybe we can figure something out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will you be available tomorrow

Sorry but no, I have plans all weekend.

Were you able to go through the process discussed last night?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure. I'm not Getting any connection at the dinning room and living room window and the patio door, I checked for crush wires and everything things seems to be as they were , zones 4 and 5 still shows

with each one twisted off at the contact you still have zones 4 and 5 open after resetting the system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By resetting you mean entering my code on the pad and pressing off and repeating this twice, correct? If so yes I have done this

Thanks, ***** ***** to make sure. The meter will definitely help at this point.