Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My parents have an older LYNXR-EN system that has a fault

Customer Question

Hi ***** *****. My name is Shay. My parents have an older LYNXR-EN system that has a fault with their single motion detector. I replaced the batteries and now the tamper resistance sets off the alarm on the base and testing the motion detector by changing the pins works fine but the base still shows the fault. Could it be that not changing the batteries for too long made the base 'forget' some of programming? It is odd because the tamper resistance sets off the alarm on the base and the base even announces it as the motion detector. I am not sure if I should just replace the motion detector or if there is something else wrong. I would appreciate any info or direction you could provide. Thank you.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure...what details would help? The specifics of the base and/or motion detector?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electronics Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Did you change the batteries in the base system? if not, don't worry about forgetting programming. Only if the batteries are very old, do they begin to lose capability to hold charge, or maintain a sufficient voltage level when powering the base system box on their own without power (e.g. during a power failure or disconnection.) I think that it's safe to say that, if you have had no power failures or power shutdowns of any duration for some time before the fault with the motion detector started, then the batteries in the base system box are not at fault.

As for the programming of the base system... if its batteries were replaced, that would activate a tamper condition, yes. And you would need to clear that tamper condition, even if the batteries put in were perfectly good and the condition was remedied by that means.

Reset the tamper condition on the main system box, and I would hope that the problem would be solved. (Unless, perhaps, you replaced batteries in the base system box... in which case, also, the tamper condition would need a reset.)

As for whether the motion detector has a fault... check its batteries (if you haven't already done so.) Also make sure a waving bush or a waving wire or cable, is not setting it off ?

Let me know a little more about the problem, and I will advise you further. Thanks.