Home Security Systems

Home security system repair questions? Ask a technician.

Please recommend an exterior security camera 700 TVL or

Customer Question
BETTER, 24/7, day and night...
Please recommend an exterior security camera 700 TVL or BETTER, 24/7, day and night, color, varifocal lens, and a clear picture, cost max. $100.00/ea. Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Security Systems
1/18/2016
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Technician

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

I know we've worked on this topic together previously, were you seeing another opinion here, or is this something I may help you with?

Any preference on size? Does it need to be discrete (dome style) or is bullet style ok?

Bullet type not too large in size.

Thanks.

Initially, one I'd recommend that is about half your budget, is the http://amzn.to/1U8bsE7 or the http://amzn.to/1U8cnEM

I've installed both of these successfully in the past with qsee dvr systems. You could also just go with more of the qsee product: http://amzn.to/1U8csYQ

Nathan,
The Qsee's are not that good and they are fixed lens, two of these cameras you just sent are fixed lens, we need varifocal and a smaller camera if possible, please don't send us links that are not what we asked, it makes it confusing. Thank you.We did buy this camera: http://amzn.to/1U8bsE7 a week ago that you recommended and it is a fixed lens and if there is a camera a little smaller that would be great. A a camera that gives a crystal clear picture. Thanks

The 2nd link I sent is varifocal, and will be the best option for the best price. It is comparable to the one you bought last week otherwise.

Keep in mind that being varifocal doesn't make it an automatic adjustment or anything you control from your computer/dvr.

It has a manual zoom lens "ring" that you adjust, and then you can dial in the focus on the camera itself, it isn't something done remotely.

An alternate model would be (if white color is ok): http://amzn.to/1Nhiot2

You won't really find anything beyond these in terms of quality, without jumping up considerably in price (around the $200 per camera range).

Remember too that picture quality is a function of the quality of the cabling used, elimination of interference sources, and your dvr. You will likely have good qulaiyt crystal clear live view, but if you play back a recorded event it will be lower quality. This is the limitation of the dvr though, and won't be overcome without going to a HD-SDI type camera or an ip/digital system.