Neil, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience in the alarm industry.
15873252

I have a Brinks Home Security Anti-Theft Safe. I 't know the

Customer Question

I have a Brinks Home Security Anti-Theft Safe. I don't know the model number. The only numbers I see is "18-0106A" at the bottom of the safe.
The battery is dead. The key will not turn so I cannot open it.
Can you help?
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try using the key, gently but persistently, while pushing in the door and jiggling the handle a little (if it won't simply open to a simple bit of pressure on the handle.) That may free up the latch where it is, apparently, hung up.

Then check the battery compartment (once it is open) and make sure the old batteries did not leak and spill corrosive battery contents into or onto the battery compartment terminals... if they did, you will need to clean all the corrosion off the terminals until the metal contacts shine again, before replacing the batteries.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried jiggling for a while but the key wont turn in the lock.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I unfortunately have nothing else to offer in the way of suggestions. I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts in this category that might have more advice to offer to help with this problem.

Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Has the safe been closed for some time?

If so it might be jammed and it can be difficult to open..

You have to push the door in very hard to get the key to turn typically, you might need two people, these keys are notoriously hard to turn... Try pulling the door as well... But push or pull first then turn the key, if you turn the key then push it won't work...

If no luck then with a hammer hit the top and sides of the safe around where the lock bars are to free them up... Then repeat above

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried everything you suggested. No luck. Is it hopeless?
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

The last thing to try is graphite in the key slot. It may be that there is a stuck tumbler in the key slot that is stopping the key from turning. Spray graphite in there and put the key in and out a few dozen times to spread then turn...