How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask To-Shay Your Own Question
To-Shay, Electronic Security Engineering
Category: Home Security Systems
Satisfied Customers: 34
Experience:  Long & Extensive experience in the Electronic Security Industry from Design, through to Installation & Ma
Type Your Home Security Systems Question Here...
To-Shay is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a very old Ademco system. The outside key switch is

Customer Question

I have a very old Ademco system. The outside key switch is rusted and the small red light no longer works. I cannot find any similar replacement on line.
Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-t1vaa1ru- replied 1 year ago.

Security supplyhouses still carry similiar key switches but they don't sell to the public. You would need to find an alarm company that would service it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have viewed over 50 pages on line and I don't think these switches exist. They would be about 30 years old. I can take a picture and send if that would help.
If I used a new Ademco key pad, would that work? The present alarm key switch has only two wires and I know some of the functions of data in/out wouldn't work, but would the Away/Off options work? I need something to replace the switch.
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-t1vaa1ru- replied 1 year ago.

Keypad will not work unless you have a newer panel. Do you know what model number you have? It's usually on the inside door. Also,all the keyswitch does is give you a momentory short which toggles the arm/disarm function. There is no data going through it. If you have a newer panel, there is programming to set up a keyswitch instead of a keypad but it depends what you have. Also to convert to a kepad you would need 4 wires instead of 2. 2 for data and 2 for power. Hopes this info helps.

Expert:  Eric Billings replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to butt in but I know more than most about these old Ademco systems, if there are only 2 wires for the whole keyswitch assembly it is because there is a 2-wire station adapter inside the panel (probably a model 245). They did make keypads for these systems but the parts are no longer available. The only keyswitches available now are made by MEDECO, who also OEM's for Ademco. Please try the link I provided to an Ebay page that lists all types. You will need a momentary lock if the key always comes out in the same position, a maintained lock if you turn it one way for on and the other way for off.

Good luck,