Neil, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience in the alarm industry.
15873252

Issue is regarding our honeywell ademco alarm.

Customer Question

Customer: Issue is regarding our honeywell ademco alarm.
previous homeowner had this system up and running and monitored with an alarm company
when we moved in, we did NOT continue the monitoring but kept the system as it runs the smoke alarm, etc - and chimes when the doors/windows open and close
a couple months ago we woke on morning to the alarm blaring and going off - no matter what code we entered, it wouldn't shut off - we finally decided to remove the battery - that's the only thing that stopped it all together
We've been living w/out the system ever since - ie, the battery is disconnected and the kept lights completle off and out as a result
now, we want the system back on so we can have the proper smoke detector running and chimes again when doors/windows open. We bought a new battery and it works! Which is great. But we still dont know what code to put in. The original code of that the realtor gave us isn't working any more)
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The issue is, when we connect the new battery, the system comes up and on fine and lights up, but the key pad reads something that I dont understnad
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Home Security Systems Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes - I can wait. The keypad reads ...
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Hi

The first question I have is the battery the only thing you removed? If so then there is something wrong with the power supply as the battery is only a backup and should not shut down the alarm if removed and power going to the alarm... There should be a little plug pack that powers the alarm check this is firmly plugged in and turned on, test the outlet is working with another appliance...

What is the model of the control box (where the battery is)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Neil -
Yes - the battery was/is the only thing we removed.Am not sure exactly where to find the model of the control box - can you give me a moment ... ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way for me to send you a picture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here's what I think the serial # ***** the box is ...S/N(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello - just checking to see if you all are still there ... ?
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Yes just answering other questions...

Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

You can take a photo then attach it using the paperclip icon...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Sorry - I've never used this service before - was uncertain how it works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No need for the picture anymore - see there above in my previous answer - the serial # ***** were asking for.
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

But you will need to find the plug pack, it is usually near the control box but can also be some distance away... Before we do anything else you need to get power to the alarm, remove the battery again and look for the plug pack, the alarm will power up with just this...

Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

I need the model number it will be something like 4110 or Vista20P

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
vista - 32fb
manufacturing code 5448
rev 4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me what the "plug pack" looks like? Mean time, I'll take a picture of this whole thing and send it just in case I happen to be looking right at it but not knowing it. But yes - please if you can, give me an idea what it might look like.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not seeing any plug pack - which I'm guessing, looks like a plug or something that, goes into an outlet?? Is it possible it's something that's placed in the garage? Also - how long do I have to decide if I'm going to pay the $18 fee for this service? Specifically - can we decide tomorrow or do we have to decide today?
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Yes it could be in the garage... Typically its the closest available outlet to the control box...

Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

It may well be hard wired in so check your switchboard for any blown breakers or fuses...

You have already been charged the $18 fee, it is held as a deposit until you are happy to transfer a portion to me however if not satisfied it can be refunded..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
searched all over - no power pack
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none that i can find - am sure its here somewhere but, cant find
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - we're going to talk it over - the fee we were charged ...thanks Neil
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

This is what it looks like...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honeywell-Ademco-Fire-Power-Supply-SA1451-UL9-120VAC-to-18VAC-72VA-Red-enclosure-/171774264581

It could be a separate red box...

Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Because it is also a commercial fire alarm it may have a separate hard wired power supply...