Home Security Systems

Home Security System Repair Questions? Ask a Technician.

Home Security Systems

Howdy, I have a Swann DVR9-4200, the 9 channel DVR. It will

Customer Question
not turn on properly. If...
Howdy, I have a Swann DVR9-4200, the 9 channel DVR. It will not turn on properly. If I unplug it and replug it in the Swann logo comes up and it says it is loading but then the screen goes black. The green power light is on but the red hdd light is not. I am just trying to figure out what is wrong with it
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Security Systems
9/25/2015
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the HDD light never comes On, then the HDD is probably defective and not initializing. That would require either the reformatting of the HDD inside the DVR, or more likely its replacement, at an initial guess.

How old is the Swann DVR9 ? did it ever work properly?

I have had it for about 2 years or so. It worked perfectly for about 1 1/2 years but then it started doing what it is doing now and would work sometimes and now it just won't boot up at all.

That sounds very like a hard disk going bad. At 2 years old, it is probably out of warranty, so any repairs to it would not be covered by warranty and would cost you something.

To be quite thoroughly honest, I am not well acquainted with Swann DVRs, and have advised you so far on general principles. I don't think I have enough expertise with this make of DVRs, to offer further instruction or help to a useful degree and with surety, so I have Opted Out - with apologies - in favor of another Expert's opinion and advice about this apparent hard drive or HDD failure in a Swann DVR.

Electronics Technician: Michael, Technician replied 2 years ago
Michael
Michael, Technician

Hi, different expert here.

I am Tech Michael, I have read all the correspondence about your issue and you will need new HDD to fix this one.

Are you in the US or the UK?

Also may I have the age of your DVR?

Thank you

Tech Michael

I am in the US and the DVR is about 2 years old

Thank you for that.

Apparently the unit is trying to search thats what the not turning on indicates light means on that one.

This one seems to fail this way if there is a serious error with the HDD, usually the pickup (read head sticks to the disk and damages it beyond repair so retrieving data is also no longer possible unfortunately.

There is a method whereby you could send the drive out for this recovery but it is very expensive.

But I can see if a new HDD is available for that unit and talk you through the repair which is quite easy. At least that will restore your unit as if it were new.

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend!

Tech Michael

Michael
Michael
Michael, Technician