Home Security Systems

Home Security System Repair Questions? Ask a Technician.

Home Security Systems

I have a WV-sw395a. I am looking to do a auto scan along

Customer Question
with the facial recognition tracking...
I have a WV-sw395a. I am looking to do a auto scan along with the facial recognition tracking. I assume it can be done? I also am looking for a cloud service that can also control the SW395 along with recording.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Security Systems
9/21/2015
Electronics Technician: Neil, Technician replied 2 years ago
Neil, Technician

Hi

This is just a camera... You will need a NVR to connect this to provide the storage and processing function... To try and store the footage directly to a cloud based storage is not cost effective due to the massive amounts of data and the parsing speeds and data required, most installations store the footage locally on a NVR and which can be accessed remotely... The remote connection allows you to control the camera as well as the settings of the NVR. Face recognition can be done but you will need a more upmarket NVR for this..

The camera has the built in face recognition and tracking. Please look at the specs and advise.

Ok, I haven't used it before... I think we might be a little at cross purpose on face recognition...There is face recognition that recognises the presence of a face and can track that face (ie move the camera to keep it on the face then home back afterwards), there is also face recognition that compares the face against a database of faces (ie employees) and logs accordingly... The later is more what you do with a NVR...

From the specs:

Face detection function detects the position of human face and the information is sent by XML or video stream

So you need the NVR if you want to do something meaningful with the face like match against a database... Shops use this type of technology to detect known shoplifters...

You are correct. I misused the term. I believe the actual term used by Panasonic is Auto Track. Does this make more sense and is it compatible with a cloud service now?

Sorry but no... A cloud service simply won't be able to handle the real time video stream in a cost effective way... Its better to store the footage locally and access that footage remotely...

again, can you recommend a compatible low cost nvr?

I will need some information..

1. Potentionally how many cameras?

2. How did you want to use the face recognition?

I have 2 of the sw395a's. These are the ones that will do the auto track.

So any face database? This will cost you more...

No, like I said I used the incorrect terminology. There is no face recognition, just autotracking on movement.
what I really want to do is have it auto pan as it picks up someone have it auto track and record to the NVR

Then most 4ch NVRs will be ok, shop around onEbay and Amazon, you will pay extra for "name brands" like Samsung, Bosch and Panasonic... I can recommend all three... You can pay a little less for lower level name brands like Swann and Lorex... The generic brands out of China can be very cost effective and I have used them as well... Often less than half the price of a name brand...

Neil, Technician