Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

My house key was stolen off my keychain. how do i go about…

my house key was stolen...
my house key was stolen off my keychain. how do i go about rekying the lock? Can i take off the lock on the doorand take with an extra key somewhere? Do i need an extra key? or call a locksmith or handyman? How much should it cost? or buy a new door with lock and have it installed? It is a uneven door so it will have to be made to fit?
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/27/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Depending on the brand of door lock, you it may be re-keyable, as all lock sets are not. What brand is the lock? You can look on the edge of the door where the latch is to find the brand. Also did that same key open other locks in the home, like back doors, garage, storage, etc.?

No only one door

What is the brand?

not on the door
no email is fine

Can you upload a photo of the front of the lock and the latch on the side.

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

Hello... I would very much appreciate if you can take a few moments and reply to this email and let me know if you still require assistance, or should I proceed forward to closing out this question since it has been open for so long.

Thank you,

Dave

hi dave, sorry i will rate you. can you give me your opinion on exterior shutters. wood vs vinyl. good place to buy. how much lacor to install
Email would be great. I think I am going eith vinyl from home depot

No problem... As for shutters both are fine however wood requires much more maintenance upkeep where vinyl doesn't. To me the biggest difference is size and style. Vinyl has several limitation where wood can be custom made. Vinyl does not have those choices unless you can special order them and then you will have added expense and wait time. Labor to install is straightforward, figure 15 minutes per shutter to install (couple of screws) for fixed shutters, longer for hinged.

One of the goals here at Just Answer while answering questions, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism. In order that I receive credit for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave