Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have an old driveway, quite large. Right now, there is an…

Customer Question
Hi. I have an...

Hi. I have an old driveway, quite large. Right now, there is an asphalt covering on it, but I think this is just a thin layer covering (probably) a previous concrete driveway, which may be as much as 70 years old. The asphalt was laid perhaps 25 years ago, before I moved to the property. It no doubt looked good (i.e. clean) when the asphalt was laid, but now looks awful. I can't afford a full removal and renewal of the driveway, including sub-base and there are no dips in the driveway from any subsidence. Is it possible to just remove the thin asphalt layer and then use whatever is underneath as a sub-base for a new driveway?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I've asked local contractors for prices to totally remove the driveway and re-fit, but they are about three to four times what I can afford. After 15 years in the property, it's the only thing we haven't tackled - because of cost. The driveway is relatively large.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'm perfectly happy to lay the top layer, but the work involved in removing and replacing a sub-base may be more than I can manage as an enthusiast. I've built long and large walls and structures around the garden before, but for this, I'm aware of my limitations.

Contractor's Assistant: What kind of climate are you in?

It rains a lot where I am. Also makes it difficult to plan when to do the work.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The property was built in 1950. The original driveway - whatever is underneath - is probably contemporaneous with that.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Home Improvement
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ideally, I'd like to resurface with block paving on a sand screed.
5/27/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 25 days ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
There is no reason to remove the asphalt.
More in a moment..
Block paving requires a good foundation ,which you already have . You can do it yourself or get an estimate using the existing drive as the foundation for the new surface.
More...
Your new surface while above ground at first will quickly become level with the surrounding area as any new drive will do.
More..
As stated the existing drive is not broken or damaged only looks bad.
There is no reason it cannot be used as a base for pavers .
It will reinforce the pavers and prevent them from future cracking if a large truck comes on your drive .
More ..
I reccomend spending your money to cover not remove the existing drive .Some edge preparation may be needed but that is just part of the process .
Get several bids and only use licensed insured contractors .
While sand screed is accepted for new work it would not be as strong a foundation as your existing driveway .
The finished appearance would be the same.
There are also many concrete overlay companies that create a similar look to pavers using concrete. Also called concrete stamping.