Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I think the A/C ducking in my attic might be leaking. It’s…

Customer Question
I think the A/C ducking...
I think the A/C ducking in my attic might be leaking. It’s very tight because of a vaulted celling. I think if I use a fogging machine at the return air I could see if there are leaks in the attic.
Is there a better way to do this?
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Home Improvement
5/27/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Thomas, General Contractor replied 25 days ago
Thomas
Thomas, General Contractor

Thank you for choosing JA! Why do you think the AC duct work in your ceiling is "leaking"? I would need more information to answer your question. Are you seeing wet spots on your ceiling? If that is the case, it is probably an insulation issue. Can you provide more information?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
The cooling in the far end of the house is not what it was before.the central a/c units are only two years old. Also the house also fells more humid than before. And yes the ducking is the original . I don’t have a way to check the volume of air coming out of each register. That’s why I thought a fog machine might help in decting a leak in the attic.

I don't think a fog machine will help determine your issue. You need to identify where the issues are and exactly what the issue is. As best as I can assess, you have an issue with your duct work, whether it has antiquate insulation or not, I don't think a fog machine is going to provide you with your answer as to what your solution is.

I would suggest that you, if you have access to the duct work, make sure the duct is adequately insulated so that it does not create condensation which would create moisture that would leak onto your ceiling.

Home Improvement Expert: Thomas, General Contractor replied 24 days ago

I apologize for not understanding your problem initially. I misunderstood your reference to a leak to mean condensation and not the air flow itself. A couple things could be causing your problem including, as you are referencing, some separation in your duct work. The first two things you should check are areas of your duct work where you have dampers installed. Most duct work has dampers installed to balance the system initially. Check to see that all dampers are in the open position. Secondly, over time, we have seen that people may tend to block the return air grill of the furnace and that restricts the amount of return air in which limits the air flow out. This may also contribute to the humidity issue you are experiencing. All that said, the best way to understand if your duct work is leaking air is to measure the flow at your registers. I have not had any experience with using a fog machine, but if you have one, that might be a good way to spot a a nice size leak or separation in the duct. The tool that is used mainly is called a digital velometer. or air flow meter. You can get them at Lowes or Home Depot for around $70. You can make your own air flow hood out of a card board box, place it over the register and use the air flow meter to measure your volume. This will obviously help you identify which duct runs are adequate and which if any have a problem. You can then check for damper restrictions or other possible issues like duct tape that separated at the joints or possible restrictions at bends, especially if there are spots where flex duct was installed. Of course these suggestions are for you doing the troubleshooting yourself. An HVAC tech would have the necessary equipment to pin point your problem pretty quickly, but would certainly be more costly. Hopefully these suggestions have provided you with some options for finding your problem. Again, I apologize for misunderstanding your initial description.