Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Whats the easiest way for a novice to cut the tops of 4x4…

Customer Question
whats the easiest way for...
whats the easiest way for a novice to cut the tops of 4x4 fence posts that are already installed? I have a smaller 4" circular saw, chain saw and sawzall but don't want to have to make a jig. thanks.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
5/26/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 2 months ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

A jig can be made pretty easily otherwise you'd have to mark all 4 sides of each post and cut straight on that line. I'd cut 4 pieces of pine or other scrap wood the length of each side of the post. Then screw 2 pieces together to make 2 L shaped "jigs". The clamp the L's to the post. Use this as a guide for your sawzall. Your circular saw is too small and the chain saw to aggressive.