Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I was trying to change the combination, but I locked the key…

Customer Question
I was trying to...

I was trying to change the combination, but I locked the key with the door open and now it won't let me enter a new code

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Last night

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The lock is engaged put the door is open and the key won't work without a new code

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
4/2/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 3 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi do you have the factory code? ........you'll need that to change anything

No. Just that is a Brinks Home Security Safe. Key pad, not dial
How would I find out the code?

so no you don't have the factory code..............could you have written it down and placed it somewhere accessible?............if not you are to have to write the company .......there may be a fee involved

I didn't write it down. It's about 12-15 years old

do you have your manual?................we could find it there possibly

I do not. I went on line to find out how to change it, but it didn't say not to turn the key to lock before I entered the new code. It's on line how to change the code, but apparently I done know how to ask it this question properly
This one has a red button on the inside of the door that you hit, then put in your new password

yes I have seen them before ............and does yours have the button?

and the door is open?

but the lock is engaged so can't close it
it's not letting me put in a new code
Or taking my old one, because I already hit the red button

if you could give a shot of WD-40 to those lock bars and moving parts ........we'll see if we can get that reversed

We can try, but it's never not retracted.

so you haven't been using the safe ?

I use it daily

so you're saying just now it stayed locked in place

Last night, I hit the red button to put in a new password, and when I was moving the door I also turned the key to lock with the door open. Now it won't take a new code

we need to retract the locks so you can reset ........close the door ........and recode

Yep. Wd40 did not work

we can try this too .............hit the red reset ........punch in 1..2..3..4..5..6 .......try the handle see if it is locked ......then punch in those same digits again and see if they retract

if not then hold the handle open and tap the locks with a hammer to release a pressure seal and see if that will do it

Still won't unlock.
Ok, but FYI…it's a key not a handle
Didn't work

looks like you will have the get the factory code then ................Brinks was bought out by Honeywell here is the number ***-***-****...............you will need the serial.....model and key number ............let me know

thanks

eddie

I hope you have found my answers insightful, with content to your satisfaction and would consider a 5 star rating…….My goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible.… by your rating it would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming unless I am rated…..positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated......and I thank you

eddie