Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

My DIY kitchen countertop failed. It was a cementatious

overlay and is rotting around...
My DIY kitchen countertop failed. It was a cementatious overlay and is rotting around the sink. The stainless steel double sink is not one piece so the seem is leaking water. I'm in overdraft and want to demolish the countertop and need to install something. Is it cheaper to get my handyman to lay some plywood and install some 12 x 12 granite tile or 24 x 24 and do an undermount sink with some kind of reverse bullnose around the sink edge or do granite. We cook a ton and abuse the countertop with cooking all day. I feel terrible doing granite because i don't like carving into mines and mountains. Call me flakey but i prefer creative tile or using granite remnant tiles. ..Im also broke for another 9 months but need to get rid of this peeling rotting countertop blunder. My handyman needs to make his rent so he needs the work but i need it to be a permanent job and look good.
4/2/2018
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Granite tile is definitely a lot cheaper than granite slabs and will last How ever there is no ready made bull nose that is compatible so you can't do an under mount sink.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
is there any other way to undermount a sink using granite tiles?

You'd have to have a custom bull nose made by a fabricator. This would not only be expensive but getting a good match with the tile would be very difficult. Even if it's the same type granite as the tile stone from different parts of the quarry has color variations. Not to mention that an undermount sink can be more than twice the cost of a drop in.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Anything i need to keep in mind with these methods or can the edges around the undermount sink?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPO87VBVGoU granite countertop edgehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyGS8TVgRGw part IIhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02gcZcpCrpk Art Stone granite tile countertop systemhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1rptaryJGg Schluter undermount granite tile systemhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i55wemG0qJc lazy granitehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2gqcqdW7GY modular granite counter instal
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I thought i can get a solid piece of granite and let the granite company cut out the sink insert without breaking a 4 ft wide piece and then tile with 12 x 12 squares?

Like I said before color matching tile to a slab is almost never satisfactory. Schluter system is most practical. The problem us you can't replace the sink without ripping out the countertop. Availability and cost of the other systems in vids is questionable.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
How is a sink removed under a solid granite countertop?

You just release the clips that hold it in place.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
i meant, how do you remove an undermount from under a solid granite countertop

I answered this in my last post. It's just held in place with clips. Of course you have to disconnect the drain and cut the caulking seal where it attaches to the underside of the counter.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
above you said "The problem us you can't replace the sink without ripping out the countertop."Are you saying that if i use granite tiles, I would be able to replace the undermount sink or are you saying that removing an undermount sink will always require the destruction of any countertop or ONLY a granite tile countertop?Also, and this is another question so i will consider that in a bonus... But i am only getting granite because i was hoping to be able to use it like a cutting board and really beat it up because we cook alot and are very domestic with kitchen work. I was hoping granite is the most durable surface to witstand many chefs at the same time.

I'm saying this applies to using the Schluter system which is your best best for an undermount with tile.
Granite is the most durable surface but not all granite has the same durability. Lighter colors with heavy patterns tend to be somewhat softer and more prone to staining. The dark/black granites are the hardest and least prone to staining. However I would not recommend cutting directly on the granite except occasionally since even dark granite can scratch and it will ruin the edge on any knife

Do you have more questions?

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
on a solid countertop, an undermount sink is replaceable. But with all these other systems including the schluter, they are NOT replaceable if that is something that is desired someday down the road?
Customer reply replied 10 days ago
Sorry for the delay. I have alot of projects going on and other obligations that i bounce back and forth to.

Yes, with a solid top removal of the sink is pretty easy. Not so otherwise. You'd have to tear out the countertop material to change it if you use the Schluter system

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
OMG... or any other method like tiling around the rim because the mastic has to be stuck to the metal right?

Yes and tile goes on top of the rim.
I'd appreciate a favorable rating

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor