Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

My neighbor will not pay half of new fence. Can I put the…

My neighbor will not...

My neighbor will not pay half of new fence. Can I put the good side on my side and not face any issues?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

14 months

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Plan on having a contractor do the work.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

He did a repair last year January after the bad storms. The fence is 27 years old and in poor condition.

4/2/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Common fences are the responsibility of each home owner equally, of course within reason. Meaning an independent contractor, 3 different bids, and the same type of fence.

If your neighbor won't pay half or at least a portion, you can repair the fence without any recourse providing you document everything. Get agreed contracts, show before and after photos, have 3 estimates for the same type of work etc.

Just following up as to whether this information was helpful in answering your question, or do you still need assistance? Please let me know by replying in the box below.

Thanks

Dave

I was reviewing my open questions list and noticed this one has not been answered or replied to. Did you still need help with it or should it go back to customer service for proper processing?

We plan on having a contractor do the work. We lost the back fence last yr and a sec on the other neighbors side. Those were replaced by a contractor. If we replace this fence that is rotten and dangerous. The neighbor says he will never replace it. So we will need to do it on our own. If we pay for the whole thing can we build it so the all the fence boards are on our side and the 2 x4s are on his side?Is there anyway to make him help pay for the fence? He is impossible to deal with. Neighbor who shares his other side fence is having the same issue. And we live in a nice neighborhood. So frustrating!!!

Yes you can build the fence so all the boards are on your side, just document everything. You might try contacting your local code enforcement or building division regarding the fence and see if they will send him a notice to correct. The only other way is to complete the job and once done take him to small claims court for 50%

Thank you your answers were very helpful. I will no longer need assistance.

You are most welcome...

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor