Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Does adding brick on outside wall that faces the sun all day…

Customer Question
Does adding brick on...

Does adding brick on outside wall that faces the sun all day help in cooling the inside.?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

For ever and a day

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not me, but a friend will

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nope, just tired of my bedroom to be so hot cause the back wall faces the sun all day

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
4/1/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 3 months ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
It will help some depending on your windows and weather or not additional insulation is added.
More...
If no windows are involved that is great.
You didn’t say how old your home is but if there is a window and it does not have double pane glass it should be replaced when you do the brick work.
More...
Adding reflective insulation on the outside wall before laying the brick will also be a major benefit.More....
Adding just the brick will help but not as much as including the insulation and the window upgrade.
If there is no window or if your window is already a double pane insulated one that is a plus.More...
If the window does need replacing you should go with Low E glass which helps with direct sunlight problems.
More...
Adding the brick will also help in cold weather .
Year round you should be able to save a few dollars on your heat and AC bill.
Your answer is yes . Adding the brick should help.
Your friend should be able to recommend if you need additional insulation when they prep for the brickwork .