Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a 1990's Kohler wellworth toilet, its closet bolt…

I have a 1990's...

I have a 1990's Kohler wellworth toilet, its closet bolt holes are from center of hole around 6" to rear of the base of the toilet. I have baseboard running behind the toilet and all the new Kohler toilets are around 12" from bolt hole to rear of base. I would like to select a model that will fit.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I have rebuilt the old toilet but it sits lower around 14" high as apposed to the newer toilets around 16" high and that extra height would aid my wife and her cranky knees.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I am a Maintenance manager in a plant for 38 years and have done all kind of repairs.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Will I need to order a custom toilet ?

3/31/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Have you tried a standard 10" toilet to see if that will work instead of the 12" model?

Even with an offset flange that I installed back in the 90's 10" would still interfere with the baseboard heat on the wall behind the toilet.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/KOHLER-Wellworth-Standard-Height-White-10-in-Rough-In-Elongated-Toilet-Bowl/1224185

Okay... You may have limited options depending on your needs;

1. Try to locate a replacement toilet that will fit from a plumbing store not a home improvement center, or somewhere online like EBAY

2. Relocate the base board heater

3. Relocate the toilet flange

4. Use the existing toilet and install an ADA type toilet seat that will raise the height above the bowl

Just following up as to whether this information was helpful in answering your question, or do you still need assistance? Please let me know by replying in the box below.

Thanks

Dave

I will remove the baseboard and rout thru the studs, thanks for your help.Perry

You are most welcome...

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor