Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a fiberglass shower/tub with drywall that runs from…

I have a fiberglass...

I have a fiberglass shower/tub with drywall that runs from the top of the shower to the ceiling. The caulking must have deteriorated over time between the two, which has led moisture to penetrate the drywall leaving water marks on the drywall around the top of the tub, then up the corner, and also up another drywall seam. I peeled off the flaking drywall, retaped the corners of the drywall, installed 2 coats of kilz primer, and then added a peel and stick smart tiles finish. My last step was to recaulk around the tub. When working on the area with the most damage, the corner is significantly damp, and also the retaped area of the wall/ceiling is still damp as well. What now is the next step? Is the entire sheet of drywall going to need replaced?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

The moisture/water marks on the drywall worsened over time, i would say they had been there for 6 months. This new project of me trying to fix this is now about 3 weeks in

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I may be in over my head, i was going to try to, but not sure i am qualified

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think that would be a pretty good starting point, i have pictures if needed of the initial damage

3/29/2018
canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Is the water damage on the same wall as the shower head or opposite wall?

Hi Mike, I am Kevin, thanks for the help

You are welcome and happy to E-meet you, Kevin

the damage is actually on an adjacent wall to the shower head. When looking at the shower head, the damage is on the right wall, and it goes back into the corner where it meets with the wall the showerhead is on

So it certainly sound to be overspray causing the issue then. How far up the wall was the water mark?

No doubt that drywall will need to be replaced. It is soaked. Are you going to do it on your own or have someone do it?

how difficult of a job is it, in your opinion?

First thing you will want to do is pull the cover plate around the shower neck away from the wall so you can see in the wall behind it. Get some Teflon tape and a 1/2 inch pvc cap. Tape the threads on the end of the shower neck and hand tighten the cap onto it. Turn on the water and divert the water up to the shower head and look inside the wall to see if the neck is leaking. If it is then you will have to replace the shower neck. If you do not have experience with installing and finishing drywall then I certainly recommend getting professional help. Hopefully there is not any damage to the wood behind the drywall and if it is on an outside wall there may be some insulation to replace. If it is just changing the drywall you can likely find someone to do it for a little more than a couple hundred bucks.

canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Alright, thanks for your help

You are very welcome