Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I purchased a house with an invisible fence for a dog

Customer Question
I purchased a house...

I purchased a house with an invisible fence for a dog already installed. unfortunately the dog collar that original came

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I need to know if there is some way to find d out if the wiring is still active so I can get a new collar and train my dog to respect his new boundaries.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

I have not talked to anyone except a representative from the invisible fencing company. Since they did not install this fence, they had no suggestions but to let them come out and trouble shoot the entire system for a whole lot of money. I have no idea when the previous owners had the system installed and I would feel much better if there was some way I could check the lines myself.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I guess that de

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Only that we love the little mutt a lot and really want to know for ourselves that he will be as safe as possible. Any SUGGESTIONS.

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Home Improvement
3/28/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector replied 29 days ago
Jarrett Baker
Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your invisible fence. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question. I understand your question to be"I need to know if there is some way to find d out if the wiring is still active so I can get a new collar and train my dog to respect his new boundaries ?" So to answer;

Since you already know that you need to get a new collar, it is really about making sure the transmitter and wiring is operating. As with all troubleshooting, make sure the power is on or off. In this case, make sure it is on. Check for a break in the underground wiring of the invisible fence. Most invisible fence units register an error if there is a break in the fence. It should either flash red lights or set off an alarm. Remove the ends of the fence wire from the transmitter jacks and replace them with the ends of a spare piece of wire. The wire doesn't have to be any special type, but will work best if it's near the gauge of the wiring used in the invisible fence. The idea is to mimic the invisible fence's circuit to make sure the error indicator is registering a fence break. If the error indicator keeps going when you complete the circuit with the spare wire, there may be a short in the transmitter, which will need replaced. If the error indicator stops when you complete the circuit with the spare wire, it means that there is a break in the underground wiring.

Check the underground wiring for an actual break in the invisible fence. Buy an RF choke, an inexpensive radio part available at any electronics store. The RF choke has two leads that should be placed into the transmitter jacks. Then take the two fence wires you originally removed from those jacks and twist each one around the other ends of the RF choke leads. The fence wires should be attached to the leads close to where they join the coils. Tune a portable radio to the frequency your invisible fence uses. You will know you have the right frequency when you hear fast tapping or beeping through the radio. Walk the perimeter of the invisible fence and look for drops in the signal. These indicate breaks in the wiring. This is the only way I know to check the wiring, to see if it is still active.

“Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star. It has been my pleasure to assist you! Thank you for posting your question. – Your business is very valuable to us.- J Baker

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you for your help. We are just a little to old to tackle a complicated task like this. We will no longer be using this internet service. We will be better off just finding a handy grandson and waiting until he has time to help. We will be unsubscribing from your service now.
Jarrett Baker
Jarrett Baker
Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector