Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I need to place forms for a concrete slab on top of an

Hey Rick, I need to...
Hey Rick, I need to place forms for a concrete slab on top of an original slab. I’ve only done this in dirt, and it’s easy to stake anchors.
What is the best way to properly place my boards to form a box for the slab?
3/28/2018
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Not sure what you're looking for re: placing boards. Just lap the ends and nail it off. Do you have any 8" concrete block? You could surround the form with block. That would be enough to hold it in place. If not you'll need a hammer drill to poke holes through the existing slab. Drill your holes plumb and you can use re-bar for stakes

Placing Boards I was referring to placing 2x8" wood Boards in the form of a squareI don't have any block but I need some. I may use that

Ok, your footing should be at least 6" bigger than your fireplace (?) all the way around.

Ok. What side rebar did you say to use?

1/2"

Placed every 6”, going side to side. Put them about 4” from bottom. Correct?
how close to the edges should I be?

6" apart in both directions middle (depth)of the slab is best. Minimum 3" from edges.

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Is the question I just asked about the beams and fireplace one you are unable to answer?

I'm currently under the weather and will be unavailable for a while

Sorry to hear this. Get better soon