Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Would you recommend installing a 4” corrugated perforated…

Hey Rick, would you recommend...
Hey Rick, would you recommend installing a 4” corrugated perforated pipe behind my wall?
I see them with the sock and without, some people say the sock clogs, so they recommend using the fabric around the rock that is around the pipe.How would you recommend doing this?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Wall will range from 2’-4’ tall, mostly being 3’ or so
3/27/2018
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

If you have somewhere for the perf pipe to drain to then yes I's use it and cover it with fabric. You can even buy it with the fabric already in place around the pipe. If there is no where for the pipe to drain to then using it is pointless

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I do have a good place to drain to. Do you think the pipe with fabric already on it will get clogged over time or is it better to use the traditional way where you wrap the fabric around rock and pipe
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Also, are you unsure about my other question with the stone steps? Wondering if that is why you haven’t answered

The pipe with the fabric attached is the same fabric as what you'd apply after. As an additional measure you surround the pipe with crushed stone then a layer of fabric on top.
Steps are not in my wheelhouse. I leave steps to the mason.

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor