Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I need to ask someone about a mitigation system a d radon…

Hi I need to...

Hi I need to ask someone about a mitigation system a d radon levels. Is there a home expert

Contractor's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Missouri

Contractor's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

They just picked up the radon tester. The reading came back 6.7. The buyers are wanting us to install a mitigation system because we are selling our home. There are 3 more things not pertaining to radon test they need us to fix. I wante to know how necessary it is to pay for one or can we just tell them no.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello.

Tell me a lot about your homes foundation, it is a slab on grade, or does it have a basement... and if it has a basement are the walls and floor exposed so they can be sealed?

.

Meantime click here for some background data

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hi Phil, we've have an engineer over. We have 2 basements. The one below has concrete walls except where the 2 basements meet there is half concrete half open unfinished 2x4s exposed.The top basement has half concrete on the outer walls except the middle area that connects to the bottom.We have had a radon test come back 6.7 here in Trimble MO Clinton County. I guess my main question is the radon was tested when our sump pump was off and not working. We have to replace the sump pump. My husband thought the reading may have been high because of the water sitting and being pushed through with the help of the sump pump
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Do we need to retest the radon after we replace the sump pump or will this matter. Our house sold and the buyers are wanting a mitigation system installed. We have no clue about this system.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The inspectors found 2 different hairline cracks in the foundation and was told nothing major to seal them and they were on the wall. There is one crack on the upper basement floor but was not an issue.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The findings were from the engineer the buyers hired.

Thanks, the sump pump running or not will have no effect on the Radon readings, Remediation in your case will involve painting the basement walls and floor with an epoxy type coating. That alone has a good chance of solving the problem.

Then if that fails, some slight amount of ventilation will solve the problem.

.

Its time to rate my input for the day, that gets me paid, locate the "finish and rate your expert" link near the top of the page and click on it. I will appreciate that very much.

I am in every day from 9 am to 11 pm west coast USA time to do any follow up, including coaching, training and repair advice as needed.

.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok, I appreciate it. Thank you

Thanks, ***** ***** pump running or not will have no effect on the Radon readings, Remediation in your case will involve painting the basement walls and floor with an epoxy type coating. That alone has a good chance of solving the problem.

Then if that fails to one degree or the other, some slight amount of ventilation will solve the problem.

.

.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
With the radon being 6.7 is that considered very high

4 is the threshold high limit... 6.7 is not grossly high, but it does need to be remediated by sealing the basement walls and floor, the chances that will work are in the 90% range, if you still need to get the number lower, then cutting a few more foundation vents should do the trick.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok, as my husband's at work, he may need to ask you questions later himself, I will pass this info to him. It's 11:48pm here. I will rate you now, thanks

Thanks, ***** ***** stay in touch on the same dime as needed, without a time limit.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hey Phil, we didn't have to do anything to the basement after all. Our buyers wanted us to install a mitigation system and we said no and they still bought our house. I will keep your feedback in mind for our future home and for friends that may need to do this. I appreciate your help! Tammy

Thanks for letting me know Tammy, well done on selling the house!

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thanks, ***** ***** have some questions later when we decide to build our underground home. We were wanting earth contact type, a one level kind but ground over the top if you had any opinions about it. Maybe an opinion about if they are good or bad to have built, what have you heard? We are moving to a townhome for 1-2 yrs til we find land and get it paid for before we build the house. Thanks

Hello, there are a lot of video's on youtube about building such a house, its a good idea it can all be eliminate your heating and cooling costs.

.

My input is to make sure the location is on high ground, not in a hollow, or on a potential mud slide area in case of heavy rains,

Ideally you should have a 2 foot thick bed of 1 inch crushed rock under the foundation slab and that should be drained downhill and out of the area, the drain bed should extend 2 feet beyond the slab and the gravel fill should rise to grade level, so that any rain water drains away from the underground structure,

You should use a double layer of heavy duty foundation wrap on the outside of the underground walls to insure no water penetrates into the basement.

.

You should have the area tested for high radon levels and not build there if the levels are above the minimums

Good luck with it

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok, I will ad this to our building notes, I appreciate your time and opinions
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer