Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I need help choosing a colour for my drapes. Not sure what…

I need help choosing...

I need help choosing a colour for my drapes. Not sure what to match. I am a traditional decorator with my home

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About two years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not really

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I always have a table cloth on my table which is next to the drapes. I currently have a pattern in my drapes which limits what I can do with the tablecloth.

3/26/2018
Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor

Good afternoon.

My name's Kel.

The most expensive things to change drive selections.

For example, usually changing the floor treatment is most expensive, so unless you're doing a major renovation that would be a primary element to match to. What kind of flooring do you have?

Changing drapes is less expensive than changing wall color. What colors are your walls? What colors and textures do you have for furniture?

If you'd send some pictures and define the problem a bit more I can give you a hand.

Are there any focal points that might drive the design? Like an oil painting, sculpture or grand piano?

Oh.

I forgot to ask to get clarity --

Have I got it --

you want to change the drapes so they create an ensemble effect with a table cloth?

I can give you the best answer if you send me pictures.

The page you sent the question from has instructions on how to post pictures.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Here are my pictures of the living room dining room area. I am not sure if I should match the carpet, the walls or the trim. I tried on orange drape to pick up from the paintings and my rust and blue kitchen but it looked awful. Looking forward to your suggestions. Thank you.

Thanks for sending the pictures.

I want to verify what your task is.

You want to replace the drapes to strengthen the ensemble effect of both spaces, yes?

What's jumping out to me in the way of an answer is the blue on the dining chairs.

There's also the blue in the large ceramic.

The blue works well with your paint, carpet, sofas and -- is that a laminate -- in the DR?

Look for something simple. If any pattern -- make sure it's large scale.

Ideally I'd seek drapes that have one color with one simple texture for the field and a courser texture for the border.

Get a candidate sample and put it next to all the elements one by one to verify they play nicely together.

Look at the sample in different lights -- different times of the day.

That will confirm whether it'll work.

Does this make sense?

Have I answered your question?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you for this feedback. I like the idea of the blue and have also thought of that. I wonder what texture and pattern I would look for that is "traditional" in nature? Also could you expand on this sentence? "drapes that have one color with one simple texture for the field and a courser texture for the border."Also if I go with a blue drape, should I paint the living room wall with the window yellow and get rid of the green.? Not sure if the blue would work with that.Yes the floors are a higher end laminate...

The blue will work with all the wall colors.

Don't see the need to pain out the green.

Ideally I'd look for fabric where there's a definite border in the rougher texture than the field.

This is probably near impossible.

I can't think of an example or I'd send you a link,

but the image's quite strong in my imagination.

You might look for two different fabrics.

They both have the same color, but one is courser than the other.

Use the courser on for a border.

Given the ensemble you've established

having drapes that were an abstract plane of one color wouldn't work.

Suggesting different textures because they'll absorb and reflect light differently.

Along with the shadows in the drape folds there'll be variations.

The light and shadow will create a pattern on the drapes.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I understand exactly what you are describing. I will look for that. It is something I was thinking of too. That the texture could do the work for these walls.If I did not go for the blue, would you go for the wall color next?Are you a designer as well as a general contractor? Just curious to know where you get your ideas from - ie formal training or gut feelings. Do you know what traditional styles usually call for when it comes to drapery.

Don't quite get your question.

Are you asking if the existing drapes were left in place what changes would I suggest for the wall color?

Am certified as a professional building designer.

Took pre-architecture courses.

Have been providing ID services to clients for years.

So

between imagination and trial & error have gotten a good sense of what works and what doesn't.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I see. I also love decorating but don't know what I like until I see it in completion. So the trial and error part can get expensive and time consuming. My husband is a general contractor- journeyman carpenter. He can build but he certainly cannot decorate:)What I meant by the wall color question was that if I put the blue drapes up and did not like that look, then what color would I choose next for the drapes. I have noticed that I like it when decorators match the drapes with the wall color but I am not sure that is the look that would work in this situation.

Talk about blind.

I just noticed the cats.

I see blue as the strongest idea.

Hard to imagine that not working.

If it doesn't work at all for you try the pillow.

It looks gold in my picture.

Hold it up to each element and note how you feel.

It looks like you could use any of the wall colors for the drapes color.

But.

The relationship between each element and the drapes wouldn't be as strong as with the blue.

Especially the laminate and sofa upholstery.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I think that you are correct about the blue. I looked around my kitchen and could see how the blue would tie the entire upper floor together. I keep seeing evidence that this is the right choice.
So yes that is what I will go with!
Thank you so much for your help.
Funny that you just noticed the cats. Kind of a tranquil scene in those pictures I thought. It all works together.Thank you again!! Have a great day:)

Hope your project goes well.

If I've answered your question would you rate it so I can get paid?

Regards,

Kel

Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor
Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor