Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a 50 inch Plazma tv and every time I go to turn it on…

Customer Question
I have a 50...

I have a 50 inch Plazma tv and every time I go to turn it on it goes off sometimes sometimes it take 45 minuets to get it on can this be fixed because now I can not get it on at all

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It’s been getting worse and worse so that now I just can’t get it on

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It doesn’t matter to me it’s just big to take it someplace

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It’s a LG

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your LG is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It’s about 7 years old but other then the turning on crap it’s perfect I have to get behind it give me a few minutes

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Home Improvement
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Model number is *****
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is anyone going to help me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please will someone answer me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s going on 10 minuets
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long does it take to connect me to someone that knows about TVs
3/25/2018
Home Improvement Expert: canuck the pro, Handyman replied 1 month ago
canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Do you know how to solder electronics? Are you familiar with testing voltages?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m electrician as trade I can work on East to a certain degree
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But my main concern this was a $4000 TV Candace be fixed

It likely can. It might be very easy. Have you removed the back yet and checked it out? How long has it been off and is it plugged in? Are you familiar with capacitors and how to discharge them?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am familiar how to discharge capacitors it’s been off for a couple days now yeah yes it is plugged in
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I have not remove the back of that yet this problem has gotten worse over time until it just won’t come on but otherwise it’s been a perfect TV the picture is perfect you wouldn’t know that there was ever a problem

It is likely just a capacitor on the power supply. Really the only part that is easily replaced is a capacitor without changing out the board. Do you know what a capacitor looks like when it is blown? Did you have the tv on a surge protector?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know what a compassionate looks like when it blows but is it the same as a compassionate and a light fixture I can LED light is that the same type of compositors in the back of these TVs or that I even just get bored
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is the on off system or board the same as the volume control because sometimes it took a few minutes for the volume to work to

There are capacitors in anything that requires any kind of power conditioning. How about looking in the back of the tv and visually inspect the capacitors? They will still need to be discharged since it was plugged in so be aware of that. If you do not find any blown capacitors on the power supply then it is likely the main board. In that case you can confirm by testing the voltages that are labeled on the ribbon cables. It very well may be both. When the capacitor is not storing the correct power it will often damage the main board. The main board is the board that has all of the HDMI hookups etc. on it. I have had good luck with reasonably priced replacement boards on Ebay. It is impossible to get ripped off on Ebay and it does not matter if it is new. Even the ones that claim to be new are harvested from tvs that were broken somehow.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK have the back of the TV set off tell me where the main capacitors are going to be located

Look on the power supply first. There are many capacitors. There is not a main one. There is a main board but not a main capacitor. Look for any capacitors that are swollen or leaking. Are you grounded also?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there anyway I can send you a picture of this please

You should be able to use the paper clip icon over the chat window to put a picture here in the chat.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Capacitors on power supply all look good I followed the plug-in from where it plugs in and goes to two boards with about five step down transformers is that the board you’re talking about

Yes. The only capacitors are on the power supply and they are all completely flat on top?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yea they all look good there are three of them about a inch in diameter the power supply bored is on top of all the av ports
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does the power supply board have a barcode on it so I can get a new one

The model number is ***** on each board. Cross reference the model number of the board with the model number of the tv to confirm to find the right board. When you order the board there will be a picture to triple check it out. Since there is not a capacitor that looks to be blown on any board then it is very likely that the main board is also bad. Often you can find scorch marks on the back of the board to confirm too.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that the main board with the red and blue wire coming from the power supply

In the second picture the capacitors look to be bulging. Are they all completely flat on top?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No there flat on top

The main board is the one with the HDMI inputs on it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did we uncover the main board yet in the first picture there’s some parts of the back of the tv that we can’t get off

Are you sure that tv is 2011? It looks like 2007 or older. What is the manufacture date on the back panel that you took off?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s a 2006

That is a heavy dinosaur right there! Give me a few minutes while I check some things out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

Alright, so this old thing is not worth the cost to repair. I would say that it is worth disconnecting and reconnecting all of the cables and looking for a loose connection and testing the continuity of every capacitor and try to narrow down which capacitor might be bad but I would not spend money on replacing boards. You can get a 55 inch 4K tv at WalMart for less than $300 and the power supply alone for that tv is going to be about $150 and the main board will be another $150-200. You could probably get a used tv from Craigslist that is much newer too for less than the cost of fixing that old thing. It might be fun to experiment on considering your trade though.

Home Improvement Expert: canuck the pro, Handyman replied 28 days ago

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
everything that you guys did was great I found a main board on line for $36.00 dollars just waiting to get it I will be getting back to you as soon as I can get everything in Thanks Ken .

Good deal! Might as well leave the tv unplugged so it will be discharged too.

canuck the pro
canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman