Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a genie silent max 1000 with a flashing red led that…

Customer Question
I have a genie...

I have a genie silent max 1000 with a flashing long red led that signifies program error or component failure. Suggested fixes are unplug 5 seconds or contact technician. I tried unplugging with no improvement

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

It’s unused but been sitting in my moms garage for years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I’ve been trying

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Maybe another opener with the same dimensions so if I change it out I can use the existing brackets

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Home Improvement
3/25/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 25 days ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi .....if we could try it this way instead.....

please follow these instructions explicitly and in its sequence

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS:

hold down the LEARN button on the opener for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET:

unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....there is no battery in the wall transmitter…..plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

This is starting off with something simple and hopefully it will resolve the issue

I will need information you can provide….. especially the make and model….. how old it is? ….in your best recollection… any kind of changes or disruptions that may have caused it not to work properly?

Always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited…..Please let me know how it goes

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
It’s a Genie Silentmax 1000. Unused but still current. I installed it for the first time last night. I tried the hard reset. The error code is component failure and to contact a service tech. I was hoping someone could give me advice today.

okay on your safety sensors ..............do you have steady non flickering lights ?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
solid beam. That would show as a round flashing red. I’m getting the long flashing red.

you said both solid and flashing ............which is it ?

I have to go offline now...........just send in your last reply and I will check back asap

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
There are two led lights one is round and one is long. When the round one is flashing it means one thing when the long one is flashing it means what I said last time. I’ll probably have to talk to the company.
Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor