Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I just moved and this morning found the flooring

I just moved and this...
I just moved and this morning found the wood flooring stained/ruined by an ammonia lemon cleaner that had been leaking all night. What can be done?
3/25/2018
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

I wish I had better news for you but the only way to get this type of stain out is to sand it out. That means refinishing the entire floor.

Hi Rick, refinish just that area or the entire room?

The entire room if you want it to look right. There's no way to just refinish a spot and make it blend in. It will be more or less noticeable depending the the light/time of day in the room.

I see. How much do you think a project like this would cost?

No way for me to give you a meaningful number. Average cost in many metro areas is $3-$4 a square foot.

Right. What about just removing the damaged strips then sand/stain/and topcoat the board before final install?

That's no better than spot refinishing and would cost more. In fact it would likely be more noticeable given the newer wood

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
I see. Thanks for the answers.

You're welcome