Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Latta please: is it normal to hear( not see)when it rains…

Second opinion] Susan Latta please...
Second opinion] Susan Latta please: hello, is it normal to hear( not see)when it rains through your ceiling vents for your exhaust fans in your bathrooms on your first and second floor in a two-story home? Also, should crawlspace under a kitchen be sealed so no small bugs can get up into the living area? How does one know that all your vents including the bathroom vents in the microwave vent in the kitchen are Effectively carrying out the moisture?
3/25/2018
Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor

Good evening.

My name's Kel.

Sound is effectively conducted by flexible solids. It this case THIN metal duct work.

The jack on the roof where air is vented is made out of thin aluminum. It's connected to thin ductwork to the fan. The sound of rain droplets hitting the roof jack is conducted by the metal ducting.

If you want to attenuate the noise you can have flexible coupling put in the ductwork and then have the ducts insulated.

You can certainly seal the crawlspace so no bugs enter and then travel into the house.

Caulking and spray foam insulation in a can will seal cracks, joins and voids.

You can also make the crawlspace less attractive to the bugs. They like warm, moist space. If there's exposed soil there should be a 6 mil thick polyethylene vapor retarder over the soil. If the crawlspace is heated the walls and floor should be insulated.

A simple test to verify fans are venting is to take about 12" of toilet tissue and hold it near the intake while the fans are on. If the tissue is pulled and held to the grating the fan is working and the duct work unobstructed.

Does this all make sense?

Have I answered your question?

Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you soooo much Kel. I will do that test and yes everything makes sense! I really appreciate your help and I may have questions in the future. May I call on you in the future for questions please and say Kel only?

You're definitely welcome.

It would be great if you addressed questions specifically to me.

Thanks.

Kel

Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor