Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I want to build a garage and one side will be underground.

The other 3 totally exposed...
I want to build a garage and one side will be underground. The other 3 totally exposed. Will I have to use all block since one side under ground or can I do that 1 side masonry and other 3 frame? If I just need 1 wall masonry, how do you suggest doing that?
3/24/2018
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You can just do 1 wall but you should turn the corner by at least 2 block wide on both ends for support. You also need to insert vertical rebar stubs out of the slab for the back wall and use re-bar minimum every 24" vertically in the block voids top to bottom along the back wall. The voids that have re-bar should be filled with mortar.

Rick
Rick, General Contractor