Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have an "Overhead Door" brand garage door opener. The

I have an "Overhead Door"...
I have an "Overhead Door" brand garage door opener. The specific model is the "Phantom".
The opener motor & drive belt seems to be functional because the belt moves when engaging the opener button, but the 'trolley' that is supposed to move with the belt won't engage the belt. I did here a popping noise when opening the door the other day, then the door opener stopped. I couldn't get it going again, and so I pulled the cord to disengage the the door from the belt. However, despite re-engaging the trolley, it doesn't reconnect with the belt. So, I assume something broke within the trolley, and it needs to be replaced. I need to know what part to order, and where to order it from. I have included a photo of the trolley, or whatever the part is called.
3/23/2018
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, an expert advisory company. My name is ***** ***** I am here to help you with your inquiry today… my goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible and instill your confidence in us with a 5 star rating…..….since I am not there it can be that much more daunting a task….. so I will need your to help with any information that I may ask and that you can provide…. I do need this for a more complete picture in trying to resolving your issue ..…… uploading pictures will help so I may request them….…I ask for your patience and together I am confident we can get this done…….you will be getting an automated phone message request, you can accept if it is more comfortable for you or disregard it for now…….. I am going to review what you have given me so far........this is an initial inquiry:

----are you sure that the belt is moving ......if it is hard to see you can touch a screwdriver lightly up against it to find out for sure .........do you have the manual for this opener?........and how old is it ?

Thanks

eddie

Please keep in mind I have nothing to do with billing ……….customer service would accommodate you on that…….I can only receive any kind of monetary credit from an acceptance of my answer by you with a positive rating

No, I don't have a manual. The door opener came already installed in the garage when I bought the house.
Yes, I am am 100% certain that the belt is moving when the motor is on, both directions.
Note: This garage door opener is at least 5 years old because I have lived here that length of time. It was not new when I moved in.
One additional note. Even when the 'trolley', or whatever it's called, is decoupled from the door via the locking pin, it still will not engage the belt and move with the belt when the motor is engaged.
It's getting late for me, so I'll check back in tomorrow.

Okay I located a manual for you ..............what seems to be the problem is somehow the trolley or carriage has become disconnected from the belt ...........I have seen on this manual that there is a cotter or clevis pin that may have snapped or become dislodged..........you will have to try and examine it closely while cross referencing the assembly of the track on page 8........keep in mind that you have a belt drive.....as they are illustrating the chain with it

Overhead Phantom Manual CLICK HERE let me know Mark

Thanks

eddie

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Excellent! I will do that when I get off work. Thank you!

Thank you for your positive rating........and the ensuing payment I will receive........ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be.........if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>

I would be happy to help you with any follow-up questions