Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have an odor from my HVAC system...It has been described…

I have an odor...

I have an odor from my HVAC system...It has been described as a "chemical" but dry smell. It odor permeates all clothes.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is from the heating furnace ducts. 2012 house/furnace

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Probably no. But what could the odor be? That will determine who I call.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have had mold testing in the house. There is a presence of Aspergillus/Penicillium but it is on a very low level. Whether this is the smell or not, I do not know. Whould this be a chemical smell?

3/23/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

The "mold" odor normally smells like a musty, earthy, or gym locker type smell, not a chemical type odor. Chemical type odor's are more of a rubber, or plastic, or ammonia type odor. What does yours smell like?

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
I had mold on my humidifier... it was removed and the humidifier removed... duct cleaning too... furnace- 2012 comfortmaker
But the odor -dry.. mildest.. some say chemical odor - could it come from the furnace malfunction?
I have to sleep at my sons house- the odor is dry, scratchy to eyes throat
Could it be the furnace malfunction?
Phone call session started

If you suspect mold, you can have air samples taken to determine the type and levels, especially if they got inside the air ducts. It is also possible rodents have found or made a home inside the ducts. Only a physical inspection can determine if they have.

The call didn't connect, not sure why??? however I will call you in about 1-2hrs

I just missed you please call again

I will call you in about 1-2hrs once I finish my appointment

I picked up but you were not there. Instead I got a recorded message. What do I need to do to talk to you?Help!

Hopefully it will be something simple and inexpensive to remedy...

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

Did I rate you? It should have been 5 stars.This is the first time I have used Just Answer, so I may not be doing everything correctly.
If I did not rate you,where do I go to do this.Thanks
Bruce

Hi Bruce...

Everything is fine, the phone call automatically provided the rating. Should you need additional help or have other questions on this subject, you can always come back to it, plus you can always ask for me directly.

Best,

Dave