Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

What are pros and cons of installing about 70' of vinyl

What are pros and cons...
What are pros and cons of installing about 70' of vinyl guttering? There will be one inside corner. Can the vinyl, white gutter be painted? How prepare vinyl surface for the paint, and how long will the paint job last? What type paint should be used?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
Thomas
Thomas, General Contractor

Hi and thank you for choosing JA! There are a few differences, pros and cons, between vinyl and aluminum gutters. Both are relatively inexpensive with vinyl being less expensive than aluminum. Vinyl is more flexible and can be even quieter at times when near an outside upper floor window during a heavy rain. Aluminum does last longer especially in harsh weather conditions, as much as 10 years longer longer. In moderate weather conditions, you can get 20 years out of a vinyl gutter. Probably the biggest difference is in a harsh weather climate, particularly snow and ice, the vinyl gutter does tend to bend obviously more than aluminum so if you are in a location susceptible to heavy snow fall, you will want to consider that. A vinyl gutter can be painted and will last as long, again, depending upon the climate and being exposed to extreme sunlight or harsh conditions, as the quality of the paint you use. You can use a high quality exterior latex. I recommend using a flex additive to the paint as well. Use a small amount and this will keep the paint from cracking as the surface expands and contracts with the temperature changes. Make sure the surface is clean and dry. You will want to treat the surface with a "sanding solution" before painting. That will take the gloss off the vinyl and provide a good surface for the paint to adhere to. I recommend THREE coats, allowing each to dry before applying the next, if this is the initial painting of the gutter. This will give you the most solid, longest lasting and best finish. You will want to paint the gutter on the ground to get a complete paint job before installing the gutter...plus it's just easier to paint it on the ground! I hope this has been helpful! Thanks again for choosing JA!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We live in central Texas, so the snow and extreme cold is rare. Sounds like a favorable place to use vinyl cutters. Do you have any particular brand of vinyl gutters to recommend? Home Depot is where I normally shop, but could the gutters be ordered on-line? Also, know of any video to show the installation process?

For sure you are in a very favorable place for vinyl gutters. Really the only issue you might have down the road is the sun and heat on the paint...but a good quality paint will take care of that. I don't have a particular brand, but I do know that I typically pick them up, or have our guys pick them up, so we usually shop for those at Home Depot or Lowes which are the two most cost effective supply houses we have here in Ohio. Yes...we have seen them here, but I always provide the homeowner with the pro and cons just as you asked. I make sure they sign off on the vinyl..."we cannot be responsible for any damage or bending due to ice or snow build up"...but we have done some good customer service when the bending or damage is minor. Anyway...that should be fine where you are at. I just did a quick YouTube search for installing vinyl gutters and there are MANY of them there if you want to review. It's funny because I often review videos there just to see if someone is dong something different than me that might be easier or better. Also, I believe Home Depot here carries Amerimax, as does Lowes here as well, so that is the brand we have used and is durable. You only will need a saw (vinyl cutting...hack saw with vinyl cutting blade is fine), a screw driver and and a drill...that's it!

Thomas
Thomas, General Contractor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Many thanks.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
This is a follow up question: We had metal guttering installed 10 years ago with a wire mesh over the top. It was such a pain to clean, that I took all of it down, and in certain areas, I placed sheet metal screws with the rubber seals in the drip-line metal under edge of the roof, where the gutter was removed. I goofed by doing this, but did not understand at the time I did it. In the installation of a vinyl gutter system, should I go under this drip line, or on top, or place a new metal drip line on the inside of the gutter (after removing the screws in all situations)??
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Cannot download the photo, but you can probably picture what I am referring to in my description. I know the original drip line metal cannot be replaced since it goes under the roof metal about 2"+ or so.

Yes...I know exactly what you are talking about and should be no need to remove it. If it is in good shape, make sure the gutter is tight up UNDER that drip edge. It will provide a good flow of water into the gutter. It should be just fine as you did it.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Your answer brought another question to mind. In hanging vinyl gutters, the hangers are put up first, then the gutter is snapped into place. If the hangers are put up first, won't that hold down the drip line metal and prevent the gutter from placement UNDER the drip line metal? Maybe I am mis-understanding something.

No...it should not be a problem. The drip edge follows the roof line. You will snap a chalk line across your fascia to line up your gutter brackets. These should be "C" type brackets that the vinyl gutter should just roll into and snap into place. The C brackets are screwed into the fascia under the drip edge.

Thomas
Thomas
Thomas, General Contractor