Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Payne furnace more than 10 yrs in old in heat mode wouldn’t…

Payne furnace more than...

Payne furnace more than 10 yrs in old in heat mode wouldn’t stop when reach the thermostat temperature. It will turn heat off but will continue blow air non-stop. High limit switch replacement didn’t help.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes, I put setting lower than room temperature, also I put it on “auto”, not “on”and there is brand new filter.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, but will call professional, if cannot do.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

There is electronic board with 2 relays? I suspect that it can have a problem, especially in these relays. Sometimes relay can stuck, so I gently knocked on them, it didn’t help.

3/21/2018
Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

If the blower continues to blow if you shut it off at the thermostat if it does not shut off either you have a high limit issue or a bad board. If it were a high limit open though it would never start to heat again it would just run the blower non stop so if you can clear it by turning it off and back on right away then I would say it is a board issue, if not then y ou need to check all the high limits, there are typically 3 of them on the unit. Check all of them.

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Where are the limits? I know only one: high limit switch, which attached by 2 screws and positioned close to flames on the right high side
It is the same question. You answered check 3 limit switches.
Please continue on writing.

I would need the model number off the unit.

I will look the model number

ok

Very unclear, because it is old, but here is my best: 396GAW036100

That is an old unit just follow the wires from the high limit you replaced to the other ones they are all daisy chained together

Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman
There are no other limit switches. Maybe you think about gas dryers - they have 3 limit switches. But I think I found problem. Will continue tomorrow. Now is too late.
I will give you good rate.
Tq.