Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have been reading code for residential fireplaces and most…

I have been reading code...
I have been reading code for residential fireplaces and most that I have seen say to install a 12” footer.
I had planned on installing a 6” pad on top of the 4” pad.Do you think this will handle the load?
3/20/2018
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

A 6" footer with re-bar on top of the existing slab is plenty. You're building a patio fireplace with a much shorter chimney than a residential fireplace so much less load.

Ok. I’m trying to lay the fireplace out in my 3D drawing program with cylinder blocks so I don’t have to cut them as much as I stack. What is the required wall thickness?

There are no requirements for a patio fireplace. 8" block with a fire brick fire box and a tile lined chimney flue will comply even for a fire place attached to a house. You can't dry stack anything smaller than 8" block.

Ok. The 8x8x16 can be stacked and if I cut that in half 8x8x8 I can stack that in there. But if I use 4x8x16 I can’t stack those any where

You can't stack 4" block. You can buy full and half block with a squared off end for corners and ends.

Ok. In the video I have referred to before it looks like the builder used either 4” or 6” blocks on the end and also for the firebox. So if I try to replicate this one to some degree I’ll have to butter my joints
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1cUxOIiNsXw

Since you're dry stacking the outer perimeter has to be 8" block. inside that you can use whatever works

Ok. So the outside perimeter can be dry stacked with 8” block and then inside I can use smaller but I’ll have to mortar the joints if I do?

Yes

Rick
Rick, General Contractor