Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

My hot tub has burned up 2 relay switches. The electrician…

My hot tub has...

My hot tub has burned up 2 relay switches. The electrician told me the flow control switch is faulty. Could the flow control switch cause a relay to melt?

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the hot tub?

Pacific

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. Gonna have the electrician do the work

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I know of. Lol

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Am I gonna get an answer? Lol
3/20/2018
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, a bad flow switch would have no effect on most relay switches especially causing them to melt.

.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the relay control panel and a photo of the actual relays showing the burnt wiring and relays, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

When we finally get the situation solved, please select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible!
I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just learned the hot tub also did not stop heating. The water temp reached 111.

THanks, ***** ***** the wiring diagram and controls wiring photo's to coach you on a diagnosis. If the unit did not stop heating when the thermostat was satisfied then the thermostat is bad OR the electrical contacts inside one of the relays are burnt closed,

.

I need those photo's to go further, OR tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city and I will locate a well rated spa service outfit for you,

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok so now the heater won't stop heating. The tub was set for102. It heated up to 107.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Would that be thermostat?

Hello, it could easily be the thermostat. THose are commonly out of calibration by a few degrees, if you set the themostat down to 100F and the heater goes off, you know its the thermostat gone bad. If you set the thermostat down to 80F when the water is above 100F and the heater stays on then it could be a stuck relay or a bad printed circuit board.

.

Diagnosis beyond that point is complex. I can help you with that but I need

close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the relay control panel and a photo of the actual relays showing the burnt wiring and relays, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

.

We can go from there without any time limits if you wish..

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer