Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Ran into some issues so we are going back to pavers. I on a…

Hey Rick, ran into some...
Hey Rick, ran into some issues so we are going back to pavers.I laid on a string line yesterday from what would be the top of the patio to the bottom with a slight drop in elevation for drainage. The slab surface is split into a few sections and it’s a little uneven.
At the top I would have 5” of DGA and 1” sand, near the bottom I might have 4” of DGA plus sand. Do you think this will be OK?
3/19/2018
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

It will be OK. I don't see a problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How would you add edge constraints to the end of my patio. I’m looking at a 7” or so rise. I have attached photos. I’ll need a constraint where it meets the yard and the side where I will have landscaping. You can see on the concrete slab next to this how high the patio will be, there is a brick outline here.

There are quite a few options. Just Google "paver edging restraint"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The yard I can build up and slope down, but the side next to the house will be difficult. Most restraints I see are a couple inches with the tallest so far 4”

The edging only has to lap the paver 1/2 way. How much height do you need?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On the side next to the concrete slab, it may be about 7”
Which is why I’m concerned what to do hear from support and looks. I could build it up with dirt but I have the basement window and window well

Your only other option is hammered in garden edging. If you have 7" from existing grade to top of paver you really only need edging that sticks up ~5" above the grade.

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On the side with 25’ section of yard. If I don’t modify the yard the pavers will be about 7” above the grade. I have some dirt to dump, and I have a lot to sod and reseed anyways. My question is should I raise the yard a few inches near where it meets the pavers?

I would

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Raise it to where the pavers would be about 2” above?

That would work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thanks for the additional help.

My pleasure

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Would you use a 1x6” along the end of the yard to hold it up until the DGA is down?

Yes

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
When I get my dirt level with the board, I plan to pack it down and slightly slope it down. I also plan to remove the board once all the DGA is in and compact the edges.
From there do I install an edge restraint in the dirt?
Are these steps how you would handle this situation?

I was under the impression you were going to raise the grade at the edge tapering it down to the existing grade level. If you plan on using edging then I'd use 2 x 6's not 1 X's. With 1 X's the board will tend to be pushed out at the top when you compact. 2 X's would be much more resistant to this. Also stake or otherwise support the 2 x at least every 3' to prevent distortion when you compact. I'd compact the last few inches near the 2 X by hand not with the large flat plate compactor. Once you compact you can remove the 2 X and install your edging. .

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
The patio floor will be raise about 7-8” above the existing grade which is currently level with the yard. Yard will be raise.I know you said to google edge restraints, but most are PVC with spikes in the ground. Will these spikes push as ground freezes? And will the dirt ground give enough support for the edge restraint when the weight of the pavers is pushed against the wall.
What would be your method?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
PVC material

What size are the pavers?

Or your wall blocks?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Pretty sure wall blocks will be 17x10x6
Looking at a larger paver, not the typical brick sized, may go with one that is 10x10x2.
Picking this out Friday

Ok, the height of the fill you have to hold back is pushing the limits of standard edging. I would have used polyethylene edging not PVC since PVC gets brittle in the cold. In your case I'd use a paver or wall block for edging. Either way I'd sink the block or paver into the ground at least a couple inches to help hold it in place.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I haven’t purchased any edging so far. Do I vertically place a paver at the end for edging?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Part of it would be buried

Yes, place blocks/paver vertically. No edging required in this case.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
With the top of the block flush with the paver floor right?

That would look best.

Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor