Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

How to tell zink coated or galvanised steel from stainless…

How to tell zink coated...
How to tell zink coated or galvanised steel from stainless steel?
3/19/2018
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Easiest way is to check with a magnet. All but the cheapest grade of stainless are not magnetic. Galvy is very magnetic.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't tell the degree of magnetic, such as very or moderate. And there is not reference point. If I use magnet to test my stainless steel cookware and a stainless steel hook and one is more magnetic than the other I still can't make sure if the more magnetic one will definitely be zink coated. Maybe just a difference in quality of stainless steel.Any clue in visual appearance that cab hell me determine if my metal is zink coated?

Galvy is a dull gray, stainless is more shiny and has a distinctive nickel color (like the nickels in your spare change).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there any exception to the dullness of zink coated steel? The steel in the link below seems to have some shine still.https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=zinc+coated+steel&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4hvz4sPjZAhULvY8KHfnlAR8Q_AUIBigB#mhpiv=8&spf=1521462352550

When it's new galvanized sheet metal can be somewhat shiny but you'll notice a sort of flake pattern to the finish. As it ages it gets dull, stainless much less so if at all. Like I said before stainless is the color of a nickel. Galvanized piping is never shiny and stainless steel pipes are never used in a residential setting.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm concerned about hooks used in my bird toys. How about watches and key rings?

Watches generally are stainless. I have no idea what bird toys or keys may be made of. You asked how to identify galvanized vs. stainless. I answered that question is a great deal of detail. I can't speculate on what random products are made of. I'd appreciate a favorable rating.

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does zink coated steel rust? What will it look like when rusted?

no

no

I didn't say it was stainless. This has progressed far beyond the original topic. If you have more questions please start a new question thread.

Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor