Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a similar question to the one I see here. I had an…

Customer Question
I have a similar...

I have a similar question to the one I see here. I had an intercom system that we removed, and one was set inside the brick by the front door. Is there some sort of decoration or initial or plaque that I could buy and place over it?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Five minutes

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Most likely

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Home Improvement
3/17/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Thomas, General Contractor replied 1 month ago
Thomas
Thomas, General Contractor

Hi and thank you for choosing JA! We have had to deal with this issue a few times over the last few years, especially on exterior remodels to change the front entry. The most aesthetically pleasing fix has been to just infill the opening, if it is large, with brick that is similar since typically the bricked area is protected by an overhang or covered porch. While that is not always the best DIY approach, we have also gone the more economical approach by placing a blank cover over the opening. Depending on the brand of intercom system removed, many have a blank cover that fits exactly over the old "box" and the screws will match the box. These covers can be anything from paintable plastic to bronze to aluminum with a decorative baked enamel finish. One of the projects had a Nutone system and they had a plate that fit the existing removed system. Of course you could simply get a decorative plaque, which we did for one of the projects, and it simply was a standard plaque that said WELCOME on it and we placed it over the opening, screwed it into some anchors that we pre-drilled and placed in the existing brick. I believe that plaque said...WELCOME TO (on top) THE "JONE'S" (underneath, not their real name, just example)...and it looked really nice! I think they got it at Home Depot and said they had a number of options they couldn't decide but went with the most basic. as mentioned, it was a really nice option. OK...here's the link to Home Depot (I don't see the one we used a few years ago, maybe they can still do it), but this gives you an idea of what I am describing...

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware-Mailboxes-Posts-Addresses-Address-Signs-Custom-Address-Plaques/N-5yc1vZcg01

Also, here is the link for the Nutone cover I just looked up...this is not where we got it from, we ordered it from our electrical supplier, but this is what I am describing...

https://www.kyleswitchplates.com/nutone-intercom-electrical-wall-plate-cover/

I hope this has been helpful and you will find one of these alternatives useful! Thank you for choosing JA!

Thank you again for using our services at JA! I would appreciate a positive rating to my response to enable other JA users to know I will do my best to give a thoughtful and thorough answer to their questions. Thank you again for using JA!

Thomas
Thomas
Thomas, General Contractor