Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Do you have to have a receptacle for the dish washer or can…

Customer Question
Do you have to...

Do you have to have a receptacle for the dish washer or can you run a dedicated 12/2 w/g directly to the dishwasher?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?

It is a maytag and no diagnostic, this is a new install

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nope, I just want to be code compliant.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 3 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Normally the dishwasher shares 1/2 the outlet with the garbage disposal. 1/2 is switch controlled (disposal) and the other half (dishwasher) is continuous. Depending on how the home is wired, there may or may not be a dedicated 20amp circuit for the dishwasher. It is always safer and easier to plug the dishwasher into a receptacle then it is to hard wire direct, should you need to disconnect it quickly.

You did not answer my question, is it a code requirement to have the dishwasher and garbage disposals on plugs or, can they be direct wired, with no plug?

Y​es these appliances can be direct wired. Usually a 3/8" Romex type connector is used to secure the cord or BX connections or a 1/2" flex connector if flex conduit.

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 2 months ago

Hello...

I am not sure if you have been receiving my follow up messages regarding this question however, if you would be so kind as to please respond and let me know if the information I provided initially was helpful or if you still require some assistance, I would sincerely ***** ***** that way I can either continue helping you or forward this to customer support for further processing.

Thank you very much,

Dave

Hello... As part of our continuous follow up procedures, every open question requires it to be closed out once it has gone past a reasonable time, and that the expert has provided an answer that should have helped resolve your question. This can be done simply by completing the 5 Star Rating once it appears. If you still require assistance or have additional questions, you can let the expert know by replying to this posting that you still need their advice and recommendations.

Thank you,

Dave

Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 1 month ago

Greetings...

I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been rated yet. If you could take a couple of moments and complete the 5 Star Rating which will close out the question I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave

Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 24 days ago

I do apologize for these continuing follow-up messages, however since this question remains open and will only close out once the rating portion has been completed by you. Please assist me by taking a few moments to fulfill the rating requirement and this will satisfy the system.

Thank you so much, I sincerely ***** *****

Best,

Dave