Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a hand railing on the 4steps railing which is loose…

Customer Question
I have a hand...

I have a hand railing on the 4steps railing which is loose iron railing is loose need to be fixed from legs

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Few weeks

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Home Improvement
3/14/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Dovetail Greene, General Contractor replied 1 month ago
Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor

Good morning.

My name's Kel.

Not clear. Is the railing loose from the supporting posts

or are the supporting posts loose from the steps.

Some railings may just need the hardware tightened. I use Loktite on the hardware to keep it from loosening up.

If there's no hardware to tighten you may need a railing contractor to repair some cracked welds.

If the connection from railing to steps is loose sometimes resetting the hardware using epoxy will firm up the railing.

If the bolts are too short which go into the steps -- I'm assuming they're concrete -- longer lag bolts with lead sleeves may be required.

You could use longer Tapcon screws. Using a hammer drill to make the hole takes less time.

Does this make sense?

Have I answered your question?

Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor