Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I want to replace paneled French doors with ones that have…

I want to replace...

I want to replace paneled French doors with ones that have glass. Can I just buy the doors and hang them or do I need to buy them prehung and start from scratch? Some friends say it is too hard to get the doors to line up properly with using the existing framework.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

What are you talking about?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

3/14/2018
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You can just replace the doors. It's not necessary to replace the entire jamb with a pre-hung unit. It does take some carpentry skills to mortise the new hinges and latch. It's run of the mill stuff for a competent carpenter. I can't say if it's beyond your capabilities. Installing a pre-hung unit is much more work but a somewhat lower skill level is required.

Do you have more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Thank you

You're welcome

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor