Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I was cleaning my bedroom floor with a quick swab of water…

I was cleaning my bedroom...
I was cleaning my bedroom floor with a quick swab of water with a little Pine Sol in it and accidentally sprayed a bit of Clorox Cleaner and Bleach on one section of the floor without thinking. I am airing out the room now. Is it a problem mixing a small amount of the two? As I say, I have fans on and windows open now airing out the room.
3/14/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Here are a couple of links to reference articles as to what exactly and chemically happens when you accidentally mix the two. The first priority is ventilation, fresh air for both yourself and the room/home. The second is to dilute the mix with water to help reduce the effects. The 3rd is when safe to resume, is too simply re-clean the area with a mild detergent like dish liquid, which will help remove any residue of the cleaning products left behind.

https://www.reference.com/science/happens-mix-bleach-pine-sol-a7d4543865664d1e

https://www.reference.com/home-garden/safe-mix-bleach-pine-sol-138f2de8fc10806a

https://www.hunker.com/13421749/what-are-the-harmful-effects-of-bleach-mixed-with-pine-sol

Oh really? Excellent. Excellent references. Thank you. Dish liquid to clear out the residue?. I am surprised. It is a cement floor, by the way. I ran over the floor several times with clean water to dilute the mix. If it is any indication, my is still alive. I was just reading the article about Pine Sol and bleach. I have been airing out the room for almost an hour. I may go over it again with plain water. About an hour should do it for venting it? And leave the windows open?
I meant to say my dog is still alive. She isn't coughing or reacting to anything yet.

Thanks all very good indicators you should be fine. If you feel the dish liquid isn't needed, that should be fine since the quick action on getting it diluted early. Ventilation is the bigger concern and it is based on what you are comfortable with. The longer the fresh circulates, the less potential for harm. Sounds like you have everything under control.

I hope so. The room smells fresher. I may try a little dish liquid anyway. Thank you so much David for being here so late at night to help me with this! I will gladly provide a rating now. For now, good night. Thanks. Arthur
I am attempting to rate you now. It is not working for some reason.

You are most welcome...

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
Thank you David. Have a good day. I will gladly rate you now.
Arthur

Thank you very much sir for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave

Oh and I did run some dish liquid over the floor. Excellent idea. Thank you.

Anytime... good night.

I just received a notice of the additional bonus, thank you very much sir!

My pleasure sir! I am a vet who suffers PTSD and tapering off klonopin. Everything makes me panic now. Anytime someone like you can help relieve the panic I am grateful! I just talked to my cleaning woman. She uses Pine Sol and bleach all the time. Clean it up and air it out. I had animals that ruined my carpeting. Seems the cement retains the odors. It is a real chore trying to get them out. I have had to use bleach and stain removers. Made a difference. I put glue tiles down and now have to take up the glue. Suggestions or should I ask another question so you get credit?

What type of tiles, peel and stick or the commercial glue down type?

thanks for replying. David. It is the peel and stick that already has glue on it. You just put it down and it sticks. They looked really nice but I then discovered I had dirt and orders in the cement. I have been taking them up with a steam iron. Then there is the glue to try to get up. Poof Off is nasty and it does not pick up the glue well I am scraping the glue with a razor. It is rough to get off. I can't afford a contractor to do it. Dont know what to do. I want to put down vinyl laminate or something I can do.

Most of the flooring companies I deal with don't worry about the glue that won't come up simply because when they install linoleum they have to spread the adhesive around which is usually higher than the old glue, plus the glues are compatible. If you do install linoleum, I recommend you use an 80lb roller to ensure no bubbles.

Really? Linoleum or laminate. What about the odors. Seal it? I guess I tear up the rest of the tiles and just get the laminate or something to go down there.

If concrete odors can be overcome by primer painting the concrete prior to installing the flooring.

Interesting. I hadnt thought of that. This home is 30 yrs old and showing the age. Ok Thanks for now David. If there are other questions I may ask a new one and give you credit. Ok? I think that is fair. You have been a really big help! Thanks for now sir!

You are most welcome... always enjoy helping out a vet!