Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I cannot find the "wall receiver" with the batteries or the…

I cannot find the...

I cannot find the "wall receiver" with the batteries or the size or type of batteries needed. Shouldn't these be in the Installation and Operating Manual? They aren't.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Today only. We are in the middle of a blizzard and electricity has gone off but on again at least 20 times today.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No. Just location of batteries and type.

3/13/2018
.
., .

What is the make and model of the main unit?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Mendota Model DXV-35 Deep Timber III
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just send info.

look at the link below

Click here

The thermostat is covered in the manual. Of course I would not know where it is in your home but it is supposed to be in the same room.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Page 40 of the instructions: "the system utilizes the batteries (installed in the Wall Receiver)" It is in the unit not my room! Page 38 diagram of Control Panel Functions Identification shows it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The call out on page 38 is "battery pack."
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven't said anything about a "thermostat."
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still there?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you are there, please respond.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does the new technician have the problem?
Bill
Bill, HVAC Technician

Page 30 says THIS FIREPLACE COMES WITH A THERMOSTAT.

How do you control your fireplace if no thermostat?

do you have remote controller?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This has nothing to do with control. I need it to go when there is no electricity!!!! Per manual: "This electronic ignition system utilizes the supplied 110 VAC power when it is available for all functions of this system. If the AC power is interrupted during a power outage, this system utilizes the batteries (installed in the Wall Receiver) as back-up batteries. During the power outage, the appliance's burners will function. In addition, Flame Height adjustment and Secondary Burner ON/OFF functions will be available." As I stated, I need to know where the batteries are and what type. Page 38 shows a diagram of Control Panel Functions. The call out on page 38 is "battery pack." Forget thermostats!!!

It is tough enough not being on site to see what you have or do not have.

If you had answered if you have a remote controller or thermostat we could make progress. A receiver is only present to receive signals.....from a remote. It is a receiver....for a remote.

These fireplaces have options and we do not know what your particular unit has. If you have a remote the receiver is inside the fireplace which would be easy for location.

I realize you may be frustrated, but hitting the exclamation point repeatedly does not help us "see" what you have.

I will optout and see if someone else can assist. Please tell them how you normally control fireplace and they can direct.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It has nothing to do with controlling or running the unit. I need to know about the batteries for when electricity is off.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you read my reply? The quote is directly from the manual. It does not mention controller or thermostat.
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

I can try to assist you if that is okay, just let me know.

Do you still need assistance on this question?

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The electricity went off just after I was passed on. It is on again so too late.

Were you able to locate the receiver where the batteries are located?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I replaced them with regular AA batteries so got warm.

Okay... I did read in the manual that they are only good for 1.5hrs should you experience another power failure.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did it all on my own - searched the unit and found it. Unbelievable that the manual tells you that it runs when electricity out but doesn't tell where the batteries are located or what type.

Understand, I reckon they figure it is self explanatory once you get the receiver cover off. The manual does indicate where the receive is located, I guess that is something. Sorry I wasn't able to assist you earlier yesterday, I know you were looking for guidance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They went for several hours. I did not see in the manual any indication of where the receiver was.

Page 33 has an exploded view drawing showing the receiver on the far right of the front panel

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Page 33 in my manual shows positioning of logs 4 and 7. Anyway, I now can replace them whenever I need to.

Okay see if your manual shows it on page 38

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it does. But I never found what type of batteries. The one I took out said Industrial and I didn't know if regular AAs would work or melt or what. Anyway, I tried using regular AA batteries and they worked fine. Not sure everyone would have been able to figure out where to find it and take a chance on regular batteries. But I am fine now and for the future. Lucky I have a technical mind and can work these things out.

Yes you do sound very knowledgeable, too bad we weren't able to connect yesterday as I would have liked to change the negative rating into a positive one.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Me, too!!! The person who I spoke with yesterday either didn't understand anything I said or didn't read my entire info. I was never talking about thermostats or controllers.Thanks, David.

Agreed... that was why I offered assistance, oh well perhaps next time. I should also mention if you feel a refund or credit is in order to contact customer service directly, also if you decide to amend the negative rating into a positive one that would change to the newest expert and not the previous ones.

If you need assistance in the future, just let me know, happy to help if able.

Best,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, David. I would be happy to give you an excellent rating.

It has been a pleasure speaking with you and thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I certainly will. I can usually figure things out myself, though.Linda

I​ did notice you had 2 open questions on this issue so you may want to contact customer service to make sure you don't get charged twice.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I cancelled after conferring with Bill as I got no relevant or answers from him. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see what happens.

You're welcome...

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor