Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I am looking for the in line under sink water heater that…

Customer Question
I am looking for...

I am looking for the in line under sink water heater that creates hot water for use until hot water gets to the sink from the main hot water heater.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

The kitchen sink is a good distance away from the main water heater. I always have to wait for the hot water. so this problem has always existed,

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I saw a device that has a timer and heats the water in line until the hot water gets to the sink. It was featured on This old house.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes it appeared to be easy enough. I just can't find the product as I have forgotten its name.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Home Improvement
3/12/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 1 month ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Not sure what you saw on TOH but there are basically 2 choices. A re-circulation pump which keeps water moving in the hot water line so it's always hot (this type of device can have a timer) or a point of use water heater which is a small electric water heater (doesn't have a timer). Which option are you talking about.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Neither one. TOH demonstrated a device that was installed under a bathroom sink and set a time that allowed the device to heat the water being used until the heated water (from the home water heater was available to use). At this time the device stopped heating and allowed the original hot water to pass through to be used..

Not familiar with this config. I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

Home Improvement Expert: canuck the pro, Handyman replied 1 month ago
canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today.

I can't imagine that this would be an option as any heater with that capability would require a dedicated circuit. Are you more concerned about finding what you saw on tv or would you like to consider other solutions?

Brian
Brian
Brian, Architect