Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Now that I have most of my brick up, I am at the original…

Hey Rick, now that I...
Hey Rick, now that I have most of my brick up, I am at the original concrete slab. The fireplace we plan to build needs to set on a slab. There will be about an 8" rise from that slab to the top of the pavers, and I am assuming the original slab has rebar in it.
I am using cylinder blocks to set on the slab to form the fireplace.
Do I need to build another slab on top of the slab? Or how would you do this?
3/12/2018
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Unless you know for sure how thick the original slab is (6" minimum) I'd pour a new one on top of the old.

Doubtful the original slab has re-bar since it would serve no purpose for a patio. I'd go with a web of #4 (1/2") bar with the bars spaced 6" apart in both directions.

Ok, and pour it 6" min.
The fireplace will be somewhat in the middle of the patio. Will the fireplace slab cause any drainage issues?

Shouldn't have any effect on drainage if there is space all the way around it.

Rick
Rick, General Contractor