Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Trying to figure out, my fireplace, pilot light stays on but…

Trying to figure out...

Trying to figure out, my fireplace, pilot light stays on but won't light. I see a lot of stuff about a bad switch (wall switch) I don't have a wall switch to my fireplace.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what type of fireplace is this?

Hearth & Home ND4236

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I can call a service person, but none seem to be able to come out within a week. Selling my house and it needs to be working.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just trying to figure out where to find the switch and if it's battery operated, and if so where do I find the batter inside the fireplace?

3/11/2018
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

Is the pilot lit all the time or do you have electronic ignition?

I have an ignition. It's been off for months. I turned it on and the ignition lit just fine, just when I press on with the remote nothing happens.

Does the pilot electrode continue to spark (makes a ticking noise)?

but the pilot is on.
Or no. Not after it lit, it's not making any noise. Do these fireplaces have a battery inside that responds to the remote? Also there is a lot of talk about a wall switch. I don't have a wall switch.

The unit is plugged into an electrical outlet. A remote is not stock with this model. It's an add on. If the unit lights the pilot via the remote it's not a remote issue. If the electrode stops arcing once the pilot is lit then you probably have a faulty ignition control.

Okay.
The fireplace is not lit by the remote. I turned on the gas, pressed the pilot button in and lit the pilot light with the ignition switch. I've just always only know to turn it on using the remote. To say turn it on, I mean to lite the fireplace.

The ignition switch is the switch that's referred to. It doesn't have to be on the wall.

Okay, I give up and will call someone to come out.
Thanks.

You're welcome

Rick
Rick, General Contractor