Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Looking to reset the thermal protection device open error.

Looking to reset the...

Looking to reset the thermal protection device open error

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

20 years old.. i think it was because of not replacing the filter

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

However i have replace itr now but the control panel is flashing an errir code yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Its an XE 80 trane with white rodgers model 50a50 - 472 control panel i will do that if a techninician is available now

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I changed the filter now and did not do this in the last 90 days and was pretty clogged
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The control is blinking 4 times indicating thermal protection device open
3/11/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Have you tried resetting the thermal switch?

Here is a link to what they typically look like.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Rollout-Switches-11150000

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t see anything like that.. can you point to where it should be?

Usually they are out of the way (if installed) near where the flames would be. They have wires attached to them so if you follow the wires it will lead to the switch, provided you have one installed which you may not since it is 20 yrs old.

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
also.. how should i "reset" once i find them?
Phone call session started

Yes that could be it since it says microtemp on it. You might look on the other side to see if there is a reset button.

I tried calling you but the system didn't allow the call to go through

Okay so that resistor looks burnt like it may have failed. You might try jumping those wires and see if the unit comes on, if so bad switch. I did see in the manual that these system does have this type protection.

Here is a link to the manual for reference and the wiring diagram in the back shows those switches inline. It also indicates fuses may have failed, and the other possibility is the pressure switch being open.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/717930/Trane-Xr80.html

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My model is an xe80
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not an xr80
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also the key problem I am facing is that the blower does not start
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The furnace kicks off and after a while stops and gives the 4 blinks code
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any idea how to troubleshoot if the blower is faulty or the capacitor?

If the blower does not come on (pressure switch) usually is open, you can try bypassing the switch and see if the system comes on, if so either bad switch or clogged lines

Also that ceramic part with the burnt resistor is the thermal cutoff switch.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay.. I need to take a quick break to get dinner.. I’ll check back in 15 minutes

Your on the right track to diagnose and determine this problem, you may need to get an Ohm Meter to check further that the parts are actually good.

You might also try bypassing the black rectangle part with the 2 yellow wires and see if that helps, if so bad switch/sensor.

Let me know if those recommendations helped.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello-
Well the blower started to work yesterday night. but stopped in the middle of the night... Now i have bypassed both the thermal cutoff switches and the black rectangle.. the furnace is running without stopping (because we bypassed).. but teh blower wont turn on. How do i troubleshoot if the problem is with the blower?Balaji

Here are 2 links to a replacement draft inducer blower http://www.hvacpartsource.com/Fasco_A143_Trane_XE_80_furnace_draft_inducer_blowe_p/fsca143.htm

http://www.myhvacparts.com/store/trane-xe-80-inducer-blw-473.php

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dave-
My problem is with the blower, the links you have sent are the inducer motor. Can you send me the links for the blower motor as well as the capacitor?Balaji

Keep in mind after you bypassed several items and the heater worked, those may have also been part of the problem. Recommend further testing on those items to confirm if good or faulty.

Do you mean the main blower that provides all the air?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the main blower thats underneath the furnace and pushes air through the vents, and the capacitor for starting the motor

Here are 2 links to the main blower. Note on the Sears link select TUD100C945H1 and then select Blower Assembly for a list of those parts. In order to get the correct replacement motor you need the numbers/info off the existing motor so it will match up correctly. The RPM's can vary slightly but you want to make sure the mounting, shaft size/shape and length are correct, and it turns the same direction. I also recommend you call and speak to someone before ordering to make 100% sure that replacement fan is compatible with your model.

https://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts/a36b371c53/Trane-Furnace-Motor-Parts

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/brands-products/Trane-Parts/Furnace-Parts

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor