Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Replacing a light/ceiling fan switch. Old switch has 3

Replacing a light/ceiling fan switch...
Replacing a light/ceiling fan switch. Old switch has 3 unlabeled wires coming out of it--black, red, yellow, but new switch has 4 labeled wires--light (blue), fan(black), power(black) and a ground(green). Instruction manual says if colors don't match call electrician for in-person visit to ascertain proper connection. Intuitively guessing I connected the new blue to old yellow (assuming light), new black labeled fan to old red (assuming fan), and new black labeled power to old black (assuming power), leaving new green ground unconnected dangling. Turned power on, no fireworks, tested all functions and works perfectly.My question for Just Answer electrician is: Is it necessary to have the ground wire connected to anything? Could I drill a hole in the junction box and connect it as a ground? What is the consequence if I stuff all the wires back in the box without doing anything to this dangling ground wire, assuming everything else is connected properly because function is as desired?
3/10/2018
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi it sounds like you have a metal box so no need to drill a hole you can just loop it around any screw ........if you don't have grounds in the house meaning a very old house then this wouldn't do much

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
correct--apartment building from 1965; fan/light retrofitted with very old switch that had cosmetic plastic breakage needing replacement. Is it worse to leave the new switch ground unconnected or to screw it into a random junction box screw (if it doesn't do much), or am I creating any hazard from improperly connected wires despite desired operation of fan and light?
Phone call session started

Thank you for your choice of using myself and the Just Answer Premium Service it was much easier to facilitate a dialogue on the phone to affect a repair with the problem you were encountering........I trust you were able to make an informed decision as to where your problem was resolved......or will be......I hope both I and the site have instilled your confidence and thank you for the 5 STAR rating……..and if you ever need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>
Many thanks switch works perfectly and I now know better than before.

you are very welcome Kevin