Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I want to upgrade to a smart thermostat. It seems that I…

I want to upgrade...

I want to upgrade to a smart thermostat. It seems that I have five wires, except the yellow is not connected. They connected the blue wire to the thermostat yellow and connected it to the condenser and the red condenser wire to the common . Do I run all five wires to the board on the central heating and then run the red AC to the red and white AC to the yellow on the central jet board or just pigtail them off the red and yellow wires coming from the thermostat?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

3/10/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is the red wire and the blue common the same voltage?

The best thing to do is identify what each wire does regardless of color and then label that wire so you can connect them at the proper terminals on the new thermostat. Basic colors on a 4 wire system are Red=24v, White=Heat, Green=Fan, Yellow=Cool. The way to verify this is to touch each wire to the Red wire and see what comes on, Condenser, Fan, Heater, or in some system Aux/Emergency or 2nd stage equipment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why isn’t the yellow used from the central heat circuit board? It seems they used the thermostat control directly to the AC powered by the common off the Central heat board

Not sure why, perhaps it was a choice or some other reason, this is why I mentioned do not rely on colors, in order for the thermostats to work properly without troubleshooting headaches, you need to verify what each wire does and make a note of it. Many homes have an extra wire ran (5 or 6) for either spares or expansion on systems. Normal Heat/Cool systems are 4 wire with the primary colors I listed as standard. Some HVAC techs prefer blue as cool rather than yellow, but you need to verify that's where the wire goes and controls.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Getting back to my original question since the system is operational. Do I connect the AC condenser wires directly to the Heil heating system circuit board? Is that the proper way of wiring the unit? With whit going to the yellow terminal and red to the red terminal?

Normally the wires from the thermostat go to the heater circuit board and depending on the system the heater circuit board can be used for the A/C providing there is a terminal for it, if not the other method is a "Common" from the circuit board to the A/C and then the thermostat wire connects direct to the condenser, bypassing the heater board.

If you only have 2 wires (red and white) going to the A/C unit outside, then the red would connect to the red and the white to the yellow as you mentioned.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need to leave everything alone and pigtail a common wire to the thermostat off the common used on the AC

Try without it and see if it works, if not then pigtail it as you mentioned.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thank you

If the system was wired standard the red wire coming into the thermostat is 24v and you should not need to pigtail it, however if the 24v wire from the transformer is connected to both the red wire going to the thermostat and another red wire going to the condenser, then yes those would be pigtailed.

Sounds like you have everything under control and going the right direction. If you get stuck, just remember to verify what each wire does regardless of color and through a process of elimination you can figure it out easier.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I understand what they did, then basically in my system they chose to use the blue 24v common to power the AC, not the red power 24v terminal since the circuit board doesn’t have a power source dedicated to the AC system

That is possible however non standard which makes it more confusing, but why I always recommend checking and verifying each wire and not relying on color alone.

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Industry standards are universal for a reason and why everything is color coded regardless of electrical high/low voltage or plumbing. The colors are identifiers to keep others safe. When a tradesmen changing that standard it leads to problems and potential injury.

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave

Just received notice of a bonus, thank you very much it is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor